Our slow cooker beef tips with mushrooms and onions is delicious served over pasta or rice. It’s an easy dinner option any day of the week, or for entertaining guests. Put this on the menu for a casual dinner party and hosting is a breeze.
Recipe for Entertaining – Slow Cooker Beef Tips
It’s time to pull out the slow cooker and put it to good use all season long, starting with slow cooker beef tips with mushrooms & onions. The Crock Pot makes this main dish nice and tender as the flavors combine over the course of the day.
This recipe gets its depth of flavor from beef or bone broth, red wine, and a packet of onion soup mix. And it calls for you to sear the beef tips before putting them into the slow cooker. You CAN put the meat in without searing it first, but I like the outer crust that forms from searing it beforehand.
How to Serve Beef Tips with mushrooms & onions?
This main dish is so versatile you can serve it differently almost every time you make it.
- Serve it like a stew in a bowl. Add crusty bread on the side.
- Spoon it over pasta noodles. These black noodles are great for a black themed party.
- Serve it in a bowl over rice, couscous, or quinoa.
- For a delicious rustic dinner, serve it over grits or polenta. This goat cheese polenta would be fantastic.
- Add a salad or side of sauteed brussels sprouts to any of these options.
Great Dish for a Dinner Party Menu
I made this for my Halloween dinner party and served it over black pasta. I used pearl onions rather than diced, and a chef’s mix of mushrooms instead of traditional cremini. These little touches made it a seamless dish for Halloween entertaining.
The gourmet mix includes crimini, shiitake, and oyster mushrooms. You get a wide variety of textures and shapes, and the result is a more interesting presentation.
HOSTESS TIP: beef broth and bone broth are interchangeable for this recipe, but bone broth has come into the spotlight recently, for its nutritional benefits. I’ve also read where some people think it adds a richer flavor, but I’m not sure I’ve noticed that specifically.
I hope you’ll make this delicious and easy dinner soon! If you like it please PIN, Share, or sign up for our Newsletter at the top of the page.
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, sliced (I used the gourmet mix from Wegman’s)
- 29 ounces beef broth or bone broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced fire roasted tomatoes, DO NOT drained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (1 ounce) packet dry onion soup mix
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, put flour into a large resealable bag; add beef and toss to coat.
- Add meat to hot oil in skillet, and sear on all sides; don’t cook through.
- Remove meat and add to a slow cooker. Top with onions and mushrooms.
- Add beef broth, tomatoes with juice, red wine, and soup mix. Give a quick stir and replace lid.
- Cook on high for two hours then reduce heat to low for 4-5 more hours.
Serve beef tips over pasta, rice, couscous, polenta or other favorite grain.