This slow cooker vegetable beef soup is perfect for weekend entertaining or game day viewing. It’s easy to make in your Crock Pot, and it uses frozen vegetables and a seasoning packet for care-free prep. I start with lean beef tips to lower the fat content, and cook it for about 8 hours. Create a soup bar and include this delicious, protein packed recipe.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
Easy Vegetable Beef Soup
One of my favorite things about fall and winter is pulling out the Crock Pot and filling it with comfort food, especially for weekends. I recently made my classic and EASY vegetable beef soup recipe and it was delicious served with a piece of crusty French bread.
The “secret” is in the seasoning pack and letting it slow cook all day.
Once you have this basic recipe, you can substitute the beef for chicken, use a different mix of vegetables, or change the types of beans you add. However, I think this recipe is pretty perfect as is. I hope you give it a try!
If you like beef tips you should check out our slow cooker beef tips with mushrooms and onions recipe.
What is good to serve with vegetable beef soup?
Want to know what goes with vegetable beef soup? In short, side items that are complementary to the dish. Here are some of my favorites.
- Open face grilled cheese tartines take the cheese sandwich to a new level. Great for when you’re entertaining and want to add something unique.
- We like to add corn spoon bread on the side. It’s the perfect balance of flavor and texture to the soup.
- This butternut squash baby kale salad is terrific for fall dinner parties. It’s full of flavor and the colors match the season.
- I think this savory bread pudding is a fantastic option to serve with soup. It’s a unique twist on the traditional sweet version, and more interesting that plain bread.
- These creamy hash brown potatoes are rich, cheesy and indulgent.
- Cheesy creamed corn casserole is also delicious and so southern!
- These gluten free cheddar biscuits are a good choice for anyone with dietary restrictions.
- When in doubt a good loaf of crusty French or Italian bread will always work well.
How to Make Vegetable Beef Soup
There’s a whole wealth of information about what cuts of beef to use. I simply pick up a package of pre-cut beef cubes that look nice and lean. Here’s how I make my slow cooker soup.
- Start with lean meat! That’s because there’s no way to drain excess fat; however, see my tip below.
- Use low sodium beef broth to reduce salt intake.
- Pour in 2 cups of water.
- Add a can of diced tomatoes with the juice. I like the fire roasted type but you can use the regular or petite diced, too.
- A packet of onion soup mix adds all the flavor and spices you need for this soup. It eliminates the need to add onion to the mix. Which is nice because I always cry when I chop onions!
- Pour in a 16 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Green beans, carrots, and corn blend is our go-to choice and holds up well.
- Drain and rinse a can of white Cannellini beans and add it to the mixture.
- Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker and give it a quick stir.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours. You can also start it on high and cook for 2 hours; then turn the heat to low and cook another 4 hours.
HOSTESS TIP: Once your soup has cooled you can store it in the refrigerator. When it’s completely chilled, the fat will solidify and rise to the surface. Before reheating, use a slotted spoon to skim the solid fat off the top of the soup. You’ve just reduced fat and calories!
- Start with 20 oz ground beef (80% lean), browned and drained.
- Substitute bone broth for the beef broth.
- Use Rotel tomatoes for a spicy kick.
- Try a different mix of vegetables. Frozen okra and corn is a southern tradition. California blends use cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots.
- Add red beans or garbanzo beans instead of white beans
- Omit the beans all together and add potatoes. Use new or red potatoes and cut them in half before adding to the slow cooker.
- 2 pounds stew beef, lean
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice (I like the fire roasted type)
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 16 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, carrots, & corn blend)
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
You can also use lean ground beef if you want. Just crumble it and cook before adding to slow cooker.