Cornbread spoon bread is a delicious southern side dish recipe for holiday dinner & family meals. It’s easy to make with Jiffy mix and 4 simple ingredients. Make sure to add it to your Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving entertaining.
Easy Side Dish for Entertaining – Cornbread Spoon Bread
Every year for holiday meals we seem to serve the same things, or at least a rotation of the same things. Mixing and matching tried and true recipes to create a different meal.
One of our family favorites is this corny spoon bread recipe that is a true Southern comfort dish. This made an appearance at our traditional holiday entertaining menu.
The recipe was handed down to me from a friend who served it to us for a dinner party many years ago.
It’s been passed down and around so many times, and prepared by many hostesses in the South.
A Southern recipe for year round meals
This corny spoon bread is moist, slightly sweet, and full of cornbread flavor. And with only 5 ingredients it goes together in no time and bakes while you finish setting the table.
Here are some more classic sides that go well with cornbread.
- Vegetables are an obvious choice to balance the cornbread. These sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon are fantastic.
- Our marinated green bean salad is a great light option too.
- These southern style pinto beans are a classic pairing for this spoon bread.
- Another great option is this sweet & spicy baked beans recipe.
How to make corny spoon bread
The recipe is so easy to put together. It’s terrific to serve any visiting house guests or for a dinner party.
- Start with a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. It has the perfect sweet flavor for this recipe.
- Use light sour cream to make it lighter.
- A can of cream style corn makes this moist and delicious.
- Adding a can of yellow corn gives you that burst of texture in each bite. Make sure to drain the liquid before using.
- Use one stick of butter. Cut it into 1/4 inch slices and place in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Give it a quick stir and continue heating for another 30 seconds, covered, until melted.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, or round casserole dish.
This post isn’t sponsored by Jiffy, but it’s the only brand I recommend for this recipe. It has a scrumptious sweetness that works with the other savory ingredients. It’s also what I use for my mini muffin appetizers.
It’s what I grew up on!
PARTY TIP: Keep your warm dishes heated to perfection by serving them in chafing dishes. Every hostess needs a couple of them for entertaining! These gorgeous copper ones are wonderful and stylish.
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 – 16 oz can cream style corn
- 1 – 16 oz can yellow corn, drained
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish, or equivalent and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Serve warm.