Cornbread spoon bread is a delicious southern side dish recipe for holiday dinner & family meals. It’s easy to make with Jiffy mix and 4 simple ingredients. Make sure to add it to your Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving entertaining.
Jiffy cornbread spoon bread
Every year for holiday meals we seem to serve the same things, or at least a rotation of the same things. Mixing and matching tried and true recipes to create a different meal.
One of our family favorites is this corny spoon bread recipe that is a true Southern comfort dish. This made an appearance at our traditional holiday entertaining menu.
The recipe was handed down to me from a friend who served it to us for a dinner party many years ago.
It’s been passed down and around so many times, and prepared by many hostesses in the South.
Easy holiday side dish
This corny spoon bread is moist, slightly sweet, and full of cornbread flavor. And with only 5 ingredients it goes together in no time and bakes while you finish setting the table.
Here are some more classic sides that go well with cornbread.
- Vegetables are an obvious choice to balance the cornbread. These sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon are fantastic.
- Our marinated green bean salad is a great light option too.
- These southern style pinto beans are a classic pairing for this spoon bread.
- Another great option is this sweet & spicy baked beans recipe.
How to make it
The recipe is so easy to put together. It’s terrific to serve any visiting house guests or for a dinner party.
- Start with a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. It has the perfect sweet flavor for this recipe.
- Use light sour cream to make it lighter.
- A can of cream style corn makes this moist and delicious.
- Adding a can of yellow corn gives you that burst of texture in each bite. Make sure to drain the liquid before using.
- Use one stick of butter. Cut it into 1/4 inch slices and place in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Give it a quick stir and continue heating for another 30 seconds, covered, until melted.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, or round casserole dish.
This post isn’t sponsored by Jiffy, but it’s the only brand I recommend for this recipe. It has a scrumptious sweetness that works with the other savory ingredients. It’s also what I use for my mini muffin appetizers.
It’s what I grew up on!
PARTY TIP: Keep your warm dishes heated to perfection by serving them in chafing dishes. Every hostess needs a couple of them for entertaining! These gorgeous copper ones are wonderful and stylish.
- 1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 (16-ounce) can cream style corn
- 1 (16-ounce) can yellow corn, drained
- 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish, or equivalent and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Serve warm.