When you need an easy pitcher party drink recipe for adults, I’ve got you covered. This pale orange cocktail with rum is the ideal color for summer or fall, and the flavor takes you from holiday parties to summer tropical parties. This easy pitcher drink recipe is made with two kinds of rum, coconut, orange, and cherry flavors. And don’t forget to add it to your list of autumn cocktails.
This post is sponsored by Master of Mixes
Easy Pitcher Drink for a Party
When it comes to easy pitcher cocktails it doesn’t get much easier than this. My rum punch recipe starts with a bottle of delicious Master of Mixes Pina Colada Mixer, and gets a kick from white rum and spiced rum.
Orange juice adds fruitiness and balances the sweet coconut and pineapple flavors from the mixer. Finally, a bit of Master of Mixes Grenadine adds extra color and more depth.
This recipe is terrific for a tropical themed party. The coconut and pineapple give it a Caribbean vibe.
The combination of ingredients gives the drink a pale orange color. That lends itself well to serving it as a signature cocktail for summer parties or a Halloween pumpkin carving party.
My inspiration for this came from a southern Christmas tradition known as ambrosia salad. It’s made with canned oranges and pineapples, coconut, mini marshmallows, whipped topping, and of course, maraschino cherries.
I wanted those same flavors in a party drink for summer or the holiday season. You could almost call this an ambrosia cocktail. Think of it as liquid ambrosia!
Pitcher Cocktail Recipe with Rum
Our Ambrosia cocktail recipe is so delicious and can certainly be compared to a pina colada. It’s similar in the way that it has a strong coconut flavor.
However this boozy drink is more complex with orange and cherry notes. Plus, the spiced rum gives is something extra special. Our rum punch is sweet but is slightly restrained by the balance of ingredients.
Rum Punch for a Party
This pitcher of punch is perfect for entertaining, from dinner parties to holidays.
How many cups in a pitcher?
A typical serving pitcher holds about 5 cups. You can get about 6 1/2 servings from this if you factor a 6-ounce serving over ice. It can hold more or less depending on the style.
Keep that in mind when you make our recipe. It makes around 8 cups so you’ll need to have a second container to hold the extra for replenishing.
Our recipe is a good amount for 6 people. Perfect for small gatherings! If the party is bigger you can double or triple the ingredients for a bigger batch.
Can you freeze rum punch?
You can absolutely freeze this punch. In fact I always freeze leftover punch recipes for last-minute gatherings.
Just pour the punch into a large plastic pitcher or storage container with a lid. Freeze it for up to 6 months. The alcohol in the recipe helps preserve the drink.
Put it in the refrigerator to thaw, when you know you’re going to need it. Otherwise, you can let it stand at room temperature for an hour or so, and let it melt to a slushy consistency.
Best party tips
There are a few advantages to making cocktail pitcher recipes over punch bowl recipes. It all depends on your needs, but here are some tips.
- Party pitcher drinks are typically made in smaller batches. They’re great to serve for groups of 6 to 10 people.
- Use two or three pitchers so you can serve one and have the other in the refrigerator for the next round.
- Start with a bottled mixer like Master of Mixes so you have lots of flavor already combined and ready to pour.
- Have an ice bucket and tongs at the ready. Guests can add ice to their glass and then pour the cocktail over it. This way you don’t have to worry about keeping the punch chilled with an ice ring or ice cubes.
- Place the pitcher on a small tray to catch any drips that might occur when pouring. Add cocktail napkins for guests to grab if needed.
PARTY TIP: I have an oversize plastic pitcher that can hold two batches of punch. I will mix up the doubled recipe and keep it chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Then I can pour half into a pretty glass pitcher to serve at the party, while the rest of it is in the plastic container in the fridge staying cold.
How to Make Rum Punch in a Pitcher
This is an easy cocktail, that most people will enjoy. And the ingredients are readily available at the grocery store and liquor store.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- White (clear) rum
- Spiced rum
- Master of Mixes Pina Colada Mixer
- Orange juice
- Master of Mixes Grenadine
- Fruit to garnish, like orange slices, pineapple triangles, and maraschino cherries
- Large pitcher
What to do:
- Start with chilled ingredients if possible.
- Pour the Pina Colada Mixer into the pitcher.
- Add the orange juice.
- Next, add in the two types of rum.
- Top with grenadine and stir all together.
- Keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Pour over ice and garnish with fresh fruit.
PARTY TIP: You can serve this recipe in a punch bowl if you like. Just add a ladle so it’s easy to dish out.
PARTY TIP: Get black contact or cling-on paper at the craft store and cut out shapes for a jack-o-lantern. Apply them to the front of glasses for a Halloween party. The orange color of the cocktail will make it look like a pumpkin!
You’re going to love how easy it is to mix up a pitcher of cocktails using Master of Mixes cocktail mixers. They use real fruit flavor and cane sugar for that “from scratch” quality.
- 2 cups Master of Mixes Pina Colada Mixer
- 2 cups Orange Juice
- 2 cups white Rum
- 1 1/2 cups Spiced Rum
- 1/8 cup Master of Mixes Grenadine
- Combine all ingredients together in a large pitcher and chill.
- Serve over ice with fruit garnish.