Spiced rum sangria is the perfect pitcher drink for a party. This red wine version starts with Lambrusco and gets a flavor boost from spiced rum, Triple Sec, and fresh fruit. Add this to football parties, adult gatherings, and outdoor celebrations.
Red sangria with spiced rum
Sangria is superb for entertaining because it can serve a crowd, large or small. And you MUST make it ahead of time so the fruit has time to soak up the flavors.
This red sangria is great for groups of all sizes. You can serve it for an appetizers & sangria party in the summer, or make it in the fall for Thanksgiving entertaining. Add it to Christmas party menus and cocktail parties too.
Whatever the occasion, you can serve this year round.
How to make it
- I used a bottle of Riunite Lambrusco for my base wine. It’s a good choice for sangria because it’s a red wine that you serve chilled, and it has just a hint of fizz.
- I added spiced rum which gives this sangria a delicious flavor boost and makes this a good choice for cooler weather. I don’t know why, but I always associate spiced rum with fall, winter, and holiday season. But this recipe can be served year round for any party or occasion.
- You’ll use an orange liqueur in this recipe. It’s a staple in most sangrias, and I typically use Triple Sec.
- Orange juice helps add flavor without alcohol. Use pulp-free for best results.
- In order to add extra fizz, add ginger ale to the pitcher just before serving.
- Adding fresh sliced fruit like apples, oranges, and lemons is a must for any sangria recipe.
PARTY TIP: Make sure not to add the soda until ready to serve in order to preserve the fizz.
Pitcher recipe for entertaining
Sangria is a great pitcher drink for outdoor parties or holiday entertaining.
PARTY TIP: Serve this recipe in a punch bowl or drink dispense for easy serving during a party. If you have a large group you can make extra and keep it refrigerated until time to refill the container.
- 1 bottle (750 ml) red wine (I use Riunite Lambrusco)
- 1 cup spiced rum
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 8-ounce can ginger ale, chilled
- sliced apple, orange, and lemon
- Combine wine, spiced rum, orange liqueur, and orange juice in a pitcher.
- Add fruit and chill for at least a couple of hours.
- Add ginger ale when ready to serve.