Appetizers & sangria served al fresco may just be the easiest way to entertain. Backyard parties are in full swing as we enjoy warm temperatures and lazy days. This casual gathering is a great way to spend happy hour or watch the sun go down. It’s all part of our summer entertaining guide to celebrate in style.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
Sangria & Appetizer Party
My favorite way to entertain friends has always been with appetizers and drinks. And setting up a fun happy hour party al fresco is just the ticket!
Host a backyard gathering and invite a few neighbors over to enjoy some delicious appetizers and a carafe of sangria. Start the planning process with easy food options like hummus and queso dip and let the menu evolve from there.
Here I’ve got snack ideas, appetizer recipes, serving suggestions, and tips to dress up packaged foods like cheese dip. I’ve also used refried black beans w/chilies to make a flatbread pizza that’s fantastic! You’ll find the recipe to that and more, linked below.
Easy Snacks to serve with Sangria
These are the easy appetizers I set out for this party, but check out the links below for EVEN MORE appetizer recipes that go well with sangria.
- Make black bean chorizo flatbread pizza bites cut into small triangles. They are fantastic and easy to make!
- Dress up store bought queso dip with Mexican chorizo and other fresh add-ins. See complete instructions at bottom. Serve tortillas in a rustic wood bowl.
- Set out a bowl of mixed nuts for easy noshing.
- Provide two kinds of hummus. Make one the classic version and the other with a flavorful edge like roasted red pepper or spinach.
- Dress up hummus by drizzling extra virgin olive oil and topping it with pine nuts.
PARTY TIP: Keep non-perishable pantry items on hand for easy last minute entertaining. Crackers and chips, refried beans, unopened cheese dips are all good options.
Appetizers to serve with Sangria
Sangria is lightly sweetened with multiple layers of flavor. The best food pairings are those that are savory or lightly salted. Southwestern flavors are also a natural pairing.
These are some of my favorite simple recipes for a casual party.
- I guarantee everyone will love these ham & cheese puff pastry pinwheels.
- Another great addition are these chicken & artichoke canapes.
- Our Southwestern style pierogi appetizers are an unexpected treat for the taste buds.
- You won’t believe these saucy cocktail kielbasa medallions only have 3 ingredients!
- What could be better than jalapeno poppers with blue cheese & bacon?
- The saltiness of these olive tapenade flatbread appetizers go great with sangria.
- Finally, you can prepare a last minute charcuterie and cheese party spread. It goes with everything!
Terrific Sangria recipes
You can’t have a sangria party without a big batch of sangria! Here are some mouth watering sangria recipes for you to try.
- I love the flavor in this delicious spiced sangria made with spiced rum.
- If you’re looking for a classic recipe try this easy red wine sangria.
- This white peach sangria is a real crowd please’r!
- This spiced apple sangria is perfect for heading into the fall and holidays.
PARTY TIP: Serve sangria from a large wine carafe like I did here, instead of a traditional pitcher.
Appetizers & Sangria Party Ideas
It’s always fun to add some style to a party, even if it’s a casual gathering. Here we incorporated wooden elements to complement the outdoor setting. We kept a neutral color palette with pops of gold and amber.
- Serving appetizers & sangria outdoors is a great way to wind down after a day at work. To make it easy on the host start with packaged dips (these are from Pacific Foods) and dress them up with fresh ingredients.
- Create a pretty display with wooden serving pieces and golden accents. This time of year is the perfect time to buy a bunch of sunflowers and put them into a pitcher vase to decorate the table.
- Use wood cutting boards to serve the pita crackers and hummus.
- Fill a large carafe with red wine sangria and use vintage glasses to serve it in. This is an unexpected touch from using regular wine glasses, and adds extra color to coordinate with the party.
- Set up a few chairs so guests can sit if they like. And bring a small indoor table outside so guests can place their drink down when needed.
If you like these ideas Pin, share, or sign up for our Newsletter at the top of the page. Cheers!
Salsa Con Queso with Chorizo
- 1 carton Pacific Foods salsa con queso
- Cooked Mexican chorizo, about 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced green onions
- Sliced jalapeno, seeds removed
Combine salsa con queso and chorizo, and heat in microwave for about 30 seconds or until heated through.
Top with tomatoes, green onions, and a few slices of jalapeno, and serve with tortilla chips.