Take your guests to Cuba with a Havana Nights party. This theme is perfect for summer parties. It’s full of bright colors, tropical flowers and greenery, and delicious food and drinks.
Havana nights theme party ideas
I’m excited to share this latest project with you! I’ve recently had the opportunity to create some original party ideas for the Celebrations website. I’ve had a long relationship with the site writing articles and sharing my “real parties” with them, but to create editorial designs for inspiration purposes is what I love doing most of all!
The first design I did is a Cuban theme party and includes some simple styling ideas as well as food, drink, and favor recommendations. This is a great party theme to welcome Spring or summer, or to host for a guys birthday celebration. The traditional Cuban icons such as cigars and strong cocktails bring a naturally masculine touch to the party.
How to host a Havana Nights party
- We’re setting the scene for a night in Havana! By incorporating natural resources that Cuba is known for (cigars, coffee, rice, tropical flowers) you can bring the ‘feeling’ of being in Havana to your guests. Use palm tree, leaves, and mosquito netting to bring in a tropical ambiance.
- Set the table with rustic and tropical items which is what I think of when I think of Cuba. Set your dining table with a rustic burlap topper for a neutral base. Brightly colored napkins in a variety of colors, along with tropical flowers add pops of color to your party. For themed props pick up empty cigar boxes from your local cigar shop for just a couple of dollars each. Use them in interesting ways throughout the party. I’ve used them in the centerpiece, the food display, and as the favor boxes.
- A centerpiece of tropical flowers is the only way to go here. Use a shipping style crate filled with excelsior as a riser for a cigar box filled with flowers. Place a few cigars in the excelsior for a whimsical touch. The centerpiece is simple but eye-catching. The flowers are actually inserted into a smaller vase sitting inside the cigar box.
- Each place setting begins with a rattan charger and simple white plate. Add some color and interest with a tropical leaf laid across the top.
- Embellish colorful napkins with vintage post cards that look like they may have come from Cuba. Simply clip them to the napkin using a tiny cloths pin. Post cards with a vintage and tropical look add some decoration to the place settings.
What food to serve for a Cuban themed party
- The best way to welcome your guests is with a signature cocktail! Serve up two of Cuba’s most famous drinks! A mojito and a cuba libre are just what this party needs!
- Food presented on top of, and inside of cigar boxes filled with dry rice. Themed appetizers include black bean and mango salsa served with rice chips, tasty empanadas, and Cuban Toasties. The classic Cuban sandwich gets an open faced, mini face lift for our party design. These hearty appetizers are a meal in themselves.
- The most well known dessert is flan. This custard-like treat with caramel topping is easy to make and the single-serving size makes a lovely presentation placed on a bed of coffee beans.
- Finally, send your guests home with a fun party favor. Fill a cigar box with excelsior and chocolate cigars. Print a simple ’thank you’ tag to add to the box. Your guests will have a sweet reminder of their evening in Havana.
Are you ready to host your own Night in Havana party?