Classic Dark & Stormy recipe is an easy spooky Halloween cocktail to serve for an adult themed party. Combine 3 simple ingredients like fresh lime juice, dark rum and ginger beer, and pour over spider-filled ice cubes for a festive presentation.
Simple Halloween Cocktail
Have you ever made a Dark n’ Stormy cocktail? If not, you need to try it for Halloween! Even the name lends itself to a fun signature party drink.
This simple recipe is delicious and refreshing with just a few ingredients. It’s refreshing and similar to a Moscow mule but uses rum instead of vodka.
It’s even great for a guys night or ladies-night-in witch themed party.
3 Ingredients in a Dark n’ Stormy
Here’s all you need in order to make this quick and easy recipe.
- Dark rum. Gosling’s Black Seal rum is traditionally used here and has actually trademarked the name of the cocktail. It’s from Bermuda and has notes of vanilla, caramel and spices. But if you want to make a “Dark & Spooky” cocktail, you can use your favorite dark rum.
- Lime. Use fresh squeezed lime juice! You don’t have to juice limes though; you can simply cut limes into quarters so that wedges are readily available and easy to use at a party. Just squeeze a couple of lime wedges into the drink.
- Ginger beer. Contrary to the name, ginger beer is a non-alcoholic drink. It has intense ginger flavor and carbonation that pairs well with the dark rum. If you substitute with ginger ale you’ll get a much milder flavor.
Add the rum and lime juice into an 8-ounce glass with ice. Top with ginger beer and lime garnish.
PARTY TIP: You can garnish the rim of the glass using a lime wedge and black rimming sugar too, if you like.
Spider Ice Cubes
Make the spooky ice by adding one or two plastic spiders to an ice tray or ice mold. Fill the wells with water and freeze until solid.
PARTY TIP: Want to make this spooky spider ice for kids? Just serve them in a glass of apple juice!
What to Serve It With
Set up a food buffet for grown ups and serve themed foods. These are some of my favorites.
- This delicious and classic cold spinach dip in a coffin bread bowl is a MUST at any Halloween party.
- These fun Halloween tombstone sandwiches are also cute on the appetizer table.
- If you’re having a sit down dinner, this cheesy chili with “broomsticks” is hearty and filling.
- You can also serve yummy slow cooker beef tips with mushrooms over black pasta for a spooky presentation.
- For dessert you can make these AWESOME shortbread finger cookies!
- Or serve this Halloween coffin cake for a graveyard theme.
- 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice - about half a small lime
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) dark rum - Gosling's Black Seal rum or substitute
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) ginger beer
Combine lime juice and rum in a short glass with ice.
Top with ginger beer and garnish with lime.
For Halloween, garnish with spider ice cubes.
Rim the glass edge with black sugar if you like.