This salted honey Whiskey Sour Punch with Drunken Cherries is THE party punch recipe to for a crowd! This whiskey punch is lightly sweet, lightly salted, and totally unique & delicious. It starts with homemade salted honey simple syrup that you’ll want to add to everything! The drunken cherries on top give it extra style and a kiss of flavor and color. Make it for holiday cocktail parties, birthday parties, or game day parties.
Whiskey Punch Recipe for parties
If you try one new punch recipe this year, this is the one. This recipe has it all – sweet, salty, citrus, and a cherry on top! This salted honey Whiskey Sour Punch with Drunken Cherries party recipe is going to make you a star among your guests!
There are two secrets to the success of this punch. The salted honey simple syrup, and the liqueur-soaked cherries. Both add something special that make this recipe unique.
Make this whiskey sour recipe for a crowd
This party punch recipe gives a modern twist to a classic cocktail, and serves a crowd. The salted honey simple syrup give this punch an amazing flavor. It’s so interesting and delicious, and complements the other flavors so well.
Can I substitute bourbon in this punch recipe?
Yes, of course! It’s just as tasty using bourbon instead of whiskey. You may get a slightly sweeter flavor depending on the bourbon you use.
How to make this easy drunken cherries recipe
If you’ve never had drunken cherries before, you’re in for a treat! You’ll add them into your glass to top off the punch. They add another layer of delicious flavor and a nice red tint of color.
- They’re quick and easy to make but you do have to make them ahead. They need time to marinate and absorb the liqueur flavor. Make them at least 24 hours in advance, up to several days.
- Keep them covered and refrigerated while they’re marinating.
- Use a jar of dark cherries in syrup. These may be labeled as Italian cherries in the store. Use a cup of the cherries and add 1/2 cup of orange liqueur.
HOSTESS NOTE: You don’t have to drain the cherries from their syrup per say, but you definitely want the cup measure to be full of cherries, not full of the syrup.
Make this a whiskey sour pitcher drink
If you don’t have a punch bowl you can easily serve this from a pitcher. In fact I’ve found that serving punch from two pitchers works great for a party. You can have one out on the bar to serve while the other is staying cold in the refrigerator.
- You can easily adjust the flavor of this punch by adding a full 2-liter bottle of ginger ale. This will also increase the amount of punch you have in case you are trying to stretch it for a larger crowd.
- Garnish your drinks with sweetened dried lemon slices. I find these at Trader Joe’s. You can also just use fresh sliced lemons to garnish.
HOSTESS TIP: Float sliced lemons and limes in the punch bowl as a hint of what flavors are inside.
- Freeze sliced lemons and limes in over-sized ice cubes and add to the punch to keep it chilled. The oversize ice will melt much slower.
- Make the drunken cherries and salted honey ahead of time for easy party prep.
Making the salted honey simple syrup recipe
The real star of this recipe is the salted honey simple syrup. It adds just the right amount of sweetness with a hint of salt. You will want to add it to so many other drinks! It would be amazing in homemade lemonade.
Be sure to make this ahead, up to two weeks and refrigerate.
- As with any simple syrup recipe you begin by combining the honey with water over medium high heat; bring to a boil.
- Add in the salt and stir. Turn heat off and let it steep until salt dissolves.
- Let cool completely and refrigerate until ready to use.
TO MAKE THE SALTED HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP TO MAKE DRUNKEN CHERRIES
Salted Honey Simple Syrup
TO MAKE THE SALTED HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP
TO MAKE DRUNKEN CHERRIES