This luscious 4-layer pumpkin cake is one of our favorite desserts for the holiday season. It makes a beautiful presentation with layers of pumpkin cake and pumpkin cream. Get this holiday dessert recipe for your Thanksgiving entertaining.
4-layer pumpkin cake with pumpkin cream frosting
I’m sharing the recipe for this 4-layer Pumpkin Cake with pumpkin cream frosting just in time for the holidays. I love to make this for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
There are usually so many pies on the menu, it’s a good idea to change it up and make a cake. This one has all the flavors of the season and you’re going to want to devour it!
It starts with a cake mix but gets elevated with some delicious additions. The combination of the cake and pumpkin cream filling is sensational. Adding toffee bits to the top gives an extra indulgent crunch that you don’t want to miss.
Make this cake recipe for your holiday entertaining. And if you’re looking for an easier dessert idea check out our Thanksgiving trifle which has similar flavors!
Delicious Thanksgiving Dessert recipe
Make this layered cake part of your dessert table and you won’t be sorry.
Place this on your pie bar for holiday entertaining to add variety. You’ll get the traditional pumpkin flavor but in the form of a cake.
For another twist on a traditional pie, try my pecan pie trifle recipe here.
- 1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin; use 1 cup for cake & remaining amount for frosting below
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, divided
Pumpkin Cream Frosting
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- remaining pumpkin from cake recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tub (8 oz.) Whipped Topping, thawed
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup toffee candy bits
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- BEAT cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans.
- BAKE for 28 to 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 min. Remove cake from pans onto wire rack and cool completely.
- BEAT cream cheese in medium bowl with mixer until creamy.
- Add sugar, remaining pumpkin, and spice; mix well.
- Gently fold in whipped topping.
- Cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife.
- Build the cake stack on a serving plate, spreading cream cheese filling between layers, and on top.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours before serving.
- Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving and sprinkle the top with toffee bits.
- Refrigerate leftovers.