Easy pumpkin pie dump cake is baked in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and uses simple ingredients that are “dumped” in together. Spice cake mix, canned pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, and crunchy pecans create a fall dessert that’s excellent for dinner parties and Thanksgiving entertaining.
Pumpkin Dump Cake with Spice Cake Mix
It starts with canned pumpkin, and I add pumpkin pie spice for more depth. The pie-like filling is moist and subtly sweet, and the ideal base for the crumble topping.
The topping is my favorite part as it combines boxed cake mix, crunchy pecans, and rich butter baked to perfection. I use spice cake mix instead of yellow cake mix so it really has warming fall flavors.
Easy Fall Dessert
Pumpkin desserts are not just for Thanksgiving. It’s the perfect ingredient to serve throughout fall and winter, and it is most certainly comfort food.
How to Serve Dump Cake
- You can cut the cake into squares and serve it on a plate, or use a large spoon to scoop it into small bowls.
- Serve this dump cake to guests in stem coupe glasses or compote dishes for a more elegant presentation.
- Top with thawed Cool Whip, homemade whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or nutmeg on top.
PARTY TIP: Use mini bakers to cook individual dump cakes. Reduce baking time to 30 minutes.
How to make it
Use a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and simple ingredients to make this recipe.
- Canned pure pumpkin – do not use pumpkin pie filling for this.
- Fat Free sweetened condensed milk
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Spice Cake Mix
- Chopped pecans plus a few whole ones to decorate the top
- Butter – use unsalted butter for this recipe.
- Whipped topping or ice cream to garnish
- Heat the oven and spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use a large mixing bowl and combine pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice together and pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over the pumpkin pie mixture, and sprinkle with pecans.
- Drizzle melted butter all over the top of the dessert, and bake for about 50 minutes or until center test comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool slightly and serve warm, OR let it set for at least 30 minutes so it’s firmer to cut into clean squares.
Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. They should last for about 4 days.
Reheat a single portion in the microwave at 30 second intervals, until warmed through.
You can add thinly sliced pats of butter all over the top instead of melting it first.
Change up the cake mix in order to get a different combination. These flavors compliment the pumpkin filling well.
- Carrot cake mix
- Chocolate cake mix
- Yellow or white cake mix
More Pumpkin Recipes
There are an array of pumpkin recipes to choose from including sweet, savory, and cocktails.
- If you prefer a more classic dessert for holiday meals, check out my easy pumpkin pie recipe. It’s another tried and true favorite!
- My 4-layer pumpkin cake is a showstopper and a great dessert for entertaining.
- Another dessert centerpiece idea is a Thanksgiving trifle that’s got layers of cake and pumpkin cream.
- Make the easiest pumpkin ice cream to serve on the side or as a dessert on it’s own.
- If you want a savory option, curried pumpkin soup is a rich and delicious recipe.
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin
- 1 can (14-ounce) Fat Free sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
- Whipped topping and/or ice cream to garnish
Heat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a large (9 x 13) baking dish with nonstick spray (or you could use mini bakers like I did here).
Combine pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and pumpkin pie spice together with a whisk, until smooth. Pour into baking dish.
Sprinkle dry cake mix over the pumpkin mixture, and sprinkle with pecans.
Pour melted butter all over the top of the dessert, and Bake for about 50 minutes or until center test comes out clean.
Place on a wire rack to cool slightly.
Serve with whipped topping or ice cream and enjoy!
Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.