Feed a crowd with this delicious and easy slow cooker lentil soup recipe. This soup is vegetarian and vegan, and cooks effortlessly in a crock pot. You can feel confident adding it to your dinner party ideas or casual supper.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
Easy Crock Pot Lentil Soup for 10
We recently added this healthy recipe for lentil soup to our dinner rotation in order to get more plant based protein and veggies into our diet. While we don’t follow a vegetarian diet per se, we’re definitely trying to create more balance between meat and plants in our meals.
My husband was the one who came up with the ingredients. And when I tasted it I said “I have to share this on the blog!” It makes a LOT which is great if you’re feeding a crowd of up to 10 people.
This soup recipe is packed with protein from the brown lentils and white beans. It’s also filled with frozen vegetables which are the next best thing to fresh ones. And we used vegetable broth, making this completely vegan.
No matter if you’re following a specialty diet or not, this slow cooker lentil soup is a terrific addition to a soup bar or a soup dinner party. The flavor is rich and savory with lots of texture to bite into.
What to serve with lentil soup
If you’re making this easy soup for a fall or winter dinner party add some of these sides to go with it.
- Bread: Homemade quick bread, soda bread, or corny spoon bread is a great option. But a loaf of French or Italian bread is also an easy choice. Provide some extra virgin olive oil to dip it into.
- Side Salad: Soup and salad is a classic combination. This butternut squash & baby kale salad is fantastic! Or try the easiest beet & goat cheese salad.
- Israeli Couscous: The larger size of this couscous adds great texture and soaks up the soup flavor. Just add some to your bowl and ladle on the soup.
- Brown Rice: Add some rice to the soup bowl for extra flavor and carbs.
- Sandwiches: I think these open faced grilled cheese tartines are so fun for a soup party. And they’re in keeping with the vegetarian meal. Small party sandwiches are good too, like these turkey melt party sandwiches or roast beef sandwiches.
More Easy Soup Recipes
Here are some more party soup recipes to serve 8 to 10 people.
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew
- Rosemary White Bean Soup
- Butternut Squash soup
- Curried Pumpkin soup
How to Make Vegetarian Lentil Soup
This recipe is so easy to make. For the most part you just add everything to the slow cooker and wait! Lentils are small and don’t produce gas like some other beans do, so you don’t have to soak them overnight.
You may want to give them a quick rinse and pick through just to make sure there’s no lingering debris mixed in.
- You’ll need a large 6-quart crock pot.
- Add the lentils to the slow cooker. We used brown lentils, which are readily available everywhere. But you could also use green lentils.
- Chop a large onion and add to the crock. You can chop the night before if you’re making this first thing in the morning. Just cover and save in the refrigerator until morning.
- Drain a can of cannellini beans and pour them into a strainer. Rinse them under running water to remove any salt from the canning process.
- Add beans, frozen vegetables and spinach, and whole can of diced tomatoes into pot.
- Pour in broth and add seasonings.
- Give a quick stir to combine everything together, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Here are some more great facts about lentils and how beneficial they are. If you like these ideas and recipes please PIN, Share, or sign up for our Newsletter at the top of the page.
- 16 ounce bag of dry brown lentils
- 64 ounces vegetable broth
- 32 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (corn, carrots, peas, green bean mix)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1 Tablespoon dry cumin
- 1 Tablespoon dry cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.