Welcome cooler weather with an Apple Picking Fall Picnic with Wine. It’s one of the best ways to enjoy the outdoors, and Merlot is the perfect wine to take along!
Thank you Decoy for sponsoring this post. Celebrate International Merlot Month this October by using the hashtag #MerlotMe on social!
I’m so glad it’s finally starting to feel like fall around here. It’s my favorite season as it ushers in cuter fashion options, more comfortable temperatures, and lots of fun outdoor activities. This year why not celebrate by going on an apple picking fall picnic with wine?
Here in central Virginia we are only a short drive away from dozens of apple orchards. And there’s always ample space for taking a rest and spreading out a picnic lunch. Adding a bottle of marvelous Merlot makes it extra special.
October is international Merlot month and a time that the industry celebrates that particular varietal. All you have to do to participate is grab a bottle of Merlot and share with a friend! Here we enjoyed some Decoy Merlot from Sonoma County and it was fantastic!
A fall picnic is the best way to enjoy the season. Pack a basket and don’t forget the wine!
Tips for going on an apple picking fall picnic with wine
Prepping for this day of fun was actually quite easy. I packed two picnic baskets (1 for food & 1 for drinks) with essentials, a couple of baskets for apple picking, and my favorite guy!
- Merlot is terrific paired with heartier foods like red meat, as well as chocolate. Therefore, I picked up a couple of roast beef sandwiches from the deli and dressed them up further with extra toppings. I filled flip top jars with easy-prep chopped salad, and included kettle chips for tasty side dishes.
HOSTESS TIP: Add extra meat, toppings, or sauce to pre-made sandwiches from the deli. You’ll get a more customized sandwich but with less work.
- For dessert, chocolate brownies paired SO well with the Merlot.
- For safe transport I wrapped the wine glasses in cloth napkins to cushion them. The black and white plaid throw was used to cushion the bottles of wine and a bottle of water inside the basket.
- Don’t forget the cork screw to open your wine, utensils, small plates.
- Some extras you may want to take along are fresh flowers, a camera, a good book, and extra throws in case a chill hits the air.
Make sure you drink responsibly.
I hope this inspires you to pack a picnic and hit the road for some fall apple picking or other outdoor activity. Make sure you celebrate this month by enjoying some Merlot wine of your own. Grab a bottle and share your Merlot experience on social media using the hashtag #MerlotMe to connect with other wine lovers…like me! Cheers.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.