Serve up a stylish alfresco dinner party with this neutral tablescape and menu ideas. This outdoor dinner menu features grilled burgers for casual summer entertaining.
Alfresco Dinner Party
With summer in full swing, and Father’s day just ahead, I wanted to create an inspirational alfresco dinner party tablescape that could work for multiple occasions.
These dinner party ideas can easily be applied to a backyard cookout, a guy’s birthday or father’s day celebration, or any casual summer gathering.
I’ve provided the menu and recipes for this dinner party alfresco, so you have nothing else to think about other than the guest list. This party tablescape and menu could work right into fall entertaining too.
Create a table setting with neutral colors and earthy tones. Incorporate natural elements into the tablescape.
- Use an array of natural textures like wood and stone in the table setting. Simple pieces like the wood appetizer plates, marble coasters, and leather cording tied around napkins brings this look to life.
- Keep flower arrangements simple. Stunning bouquets are lovely for more feminine or formal occasions, but I like to keep an alfresco dinner party more casual with a centerpiece of hydrangeas. The large fluffy blooms are my go-to choice and add a fresh element to the table setting while keeping the focus on the food.
Dinner Menu & Recipes
This menu takes the classic burger cookout to the next level with some creative recipes.
- These sun dried tomato burgers have an Italian flavor profile that’s unique and delicious. Place the burgers on a pedestal to give the meal a celebratory feel.
- There’s so much fresh amazing flavor in this summer corn salad. It’s a great side dish for any outdoor party.
- For a special touch I made these cheese crisps into “bowls” and filled them with a lightly dressed green salad.
- I love adding nipples and pickled snack to the table. It’s a southern tradition I learned from my grandmother. I used my vintage oyster dish I picked up while visiting New Orleans to hold the small bites. It’s an unexpected touch that adds charm to the table.
PARTY TIP: Create this alfresco party cookout for father’s day. I created trivia cards based on dad’s favorite things and other fun facts. Let the kids fill in the blanks and it will be so entertaining to see what they write down. And fun for them when they find out something new about their dad! You can download and print, HERE.
Dinner Party Shortcuts
Don’t feel like you have to do it all. To save your sanity when hosting special celebrations you can choose a few different shortcuts.
- Serve a catered meal and make a signature homemade dessert. Let a restaurant or caterer provide the main menu so you can put the effort into making a special signature dessert.
- Make the main dishes and dress up a beautiful store-bought cake. I surrounded a cake from the bakery with macarons of the same color palette or flavor profile. The extra treats are a delicious bonus!
I hope you enjoyed the party. Happy hosting!