Jalapeno poppers with blue cheese are easy to make with just 4 simple ingredients. Crumbled blue cheese flavors the cream cheese base and it’s all wrapped in bacon. They’re the ideal appetizer for game day parties and guys night in.
Blue Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
This recipe is variation on my baked jalapeno poppers and it uses blue cheese instead of cheddar. It’s also wrapped in bacon rather than using crumbled bacon in the filling.
I love the flavor of a mild blue cheese like Gorgonzola Dolce or Danish blue so that’s my choice for these, and it’s a delicious alternative to the classic cheddar poppers.
Best casual party food
Over the years we’ve hosted many Super Bowl parties, and they’re always potluck style. Each guest brings their best football party food to share and we wash it down with ice cold beer.
How to make them
- Cream cheese – softened at room temperature.
- Blue cheese – Gorgonzola Dolce or Danish blue is what I like to use because it’s a mild blue cheese with great taste.
- Jalapeno peppers – Choose fresh jalapenos that are similar in size so they cook evenly.
- Bacon – I like to use Center Cut bacon for these because it’s usually meatier than other types. You will cut each slice in half so they wrap around the jalapenos.
Cut peppers in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds and white membrane. You may want to wear gloves to do this, or make sure you wash hands very well afterward. The oils from the jalapeno can burn your eyes if it gets into them.
In a small bowl combine cream cheese and blue cheese together. Fill the inside of each pepper half with cheese mixture.
Cut bacon slices in half, crosswise. Wrap a piece of bacon around each filled half of jalapeno and secure with a toothpick.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a broiler rack on top so bacon drippings can drain off into the baking sheet as they cook.
Cook until bacon is done.
Let me know what you think about these jalapeno poppers with blue cheese.
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese – Gorgonzola Dolce or Danish blue
- 12 fresh jalapeno peppers
- 12 slices Center Cut Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, and scrape out seeds and white membrane.
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese and blue cheese together. Fill the inside of each pepper half with cheese mixture.
- Cut bacon slices in half, crosswise. Wrap a piece of bacon around each filled half of jalapeno, and secure with a toothpick.
- Place a broiler rack on top of a baking sheet or pan and place poppers on the rack. The bacon drippings can drain off into the baking sheet as they cook.
- Cook about 20-25 minutes, or until bacon is cooked through.
Wear gloves to clean the jalapenos or make sure you wash hands very well afterward. The oils from the jalapeno can burn your eyes if it gets into them.