It’s been a while since I shared details of our new home, but today I’m going to give you some tips for organizing your coat closet as part of my partnership with Better Homes and Gardens products at Walmart. This month’s challenge was “stylish storage” and our coat closet was in desperate need of some storage solutions.
The coat closet is tucked into a tiny hallway just as you walk in from the garage. It’s small and kids’ and husband’s shoes just seem to get thrown on the floor making it look like a mess. I decided to head to Walmart to see what I could use to remedy the solution. When I saw this shoe organizer I knew it would work just as well in our coat closet as it would in a bedroom closet!
Tips for Organizing Your Coat Closet:
- First I removed everything from the closet. It’s amazing how much “junk” was in there that needed to be thrown away or transported to a more appropriate area.
- Like I said, the closet is small but the shoe organizer fit in perfectly and leaves enough space on one side for extra long coats to be hung.
- I used the cubbies for shoes as well as umbrellas, snow gloves and hats, and even plastic bags I recycle and use when needed.
- The top of the organizer is sturdy so I put high top boots there, that are too big to fit inside a cubicle.
- I also bought a new set of wooden suit hangers to hold all the heavy winter coats. I hate the look of mismatched hangers, don’t you? Make sure to have extras on hand for guest’s coats!
- Finally, I added a basket at the top to hold hats and small pursed that I use often.
There’s still some work to be done in this tiny hallway, but at least it’s more organized behind that door now. I’ve given some thought to removing the door altogether and hanging a wall to wall curtain instead. It seems like that might be easier for the kids to get in and out of, but first I’ll see how long they can keep up with this new storage solution.