This red Christmas mimosa cocktail is exactly what you need to celebrate holiday festivities. Made with just 3 simple ingredients, the red cranberry juice and champagne make this an ideal signature drink for parties and brunch entertaining.
Christmas morning mimosa
There’s nothing more festive than serving up a cranberry mimosa on Christmas morning. Sip on this easy alcoholic drink for Christmas brunch, with some breakfast bar ideas, or while presents are being unwrapped.
However you decide to serve it, this holiday cocktail is sure to be a welcome addition.
While a classic mimosa is made with orange juice, this one uses cranberry juice. That makes it a delicious option for winter theme parties.
Best party tips
Follow these tips for setting up a small cocktail bar, a bar cart, or a simple tray.
- Pour the cranberry juice into a bottle, a decanter, or a pitcher so it looks pretty on the bar.
- You can pour the Amaretto into a small decanter too.
- Tie a label tag onto the neck of the decanters so guests know what’s inside.
- Keep the prosecco chilled in a traditional ice bucket, or use a larger ice tub and place all three bottles in together.
- Let guests make their own drink. Place a sign on the table, that gives the measurements and directions.
- Place a few premade drinks on a welcome tray near the entrance so guests can grab one as they arrive.
- Use pretty coupe glasses or classic flute glasses for this signature drink.
- Make sugared cranberries for an extra special touch to the garnish. Simply roll fresh berries in simple syrup and then into fine granulated sugar, and let dry.
How to make it
All you need are 3 simple ingredients, and make sure everything is chilled ahead of time. If you feel like you need to add ice, I suggest you use oversized ice cubes so it sits in a coup glass and melts slowly.
Amaretto liqueur – This is an almond flavored liqueur and gives this drink depth and a little sweetness. A little goes a long way so you only need a little bit. My favorite brand to use is Disaronno.
Cranberry juice – Cranberries are seasonal fruit that makes this drink festive for Christmas. It’s not too sweet so it pairs well with the Amaretto, and the red color makes it ideal for a signature party drink.
Sparkling wine – Use your favorite champagne, prosecco or cava for this cocktail. The effervescence is what gives this drink a celebratory vibe.
Substitutions – You can try adding orange liqueur instead of the Amaretto, or use Frangelico for a hazelnut flavor.
Add the first two ingredients in a coupe or flute glass and top off with the champagne. Garnish with cranberries.
Sparkling wine is what defines a mimosa. You can use French champagne, Italian prosecco, Spanish cava, or American sparkling wine. They are all created to have bubbles, but the name is different depending on the region it comes from. Use Brut or Semi-dry so you get the flavor without too much added sweetness.
Cranberries are the perfect garnish because they reflect the ingredient in the drink. You can use fresh or frozen cranberries, and the frozen ones can help keep the drink chilled. You can also garnish with fresh rosemary to emulate a Christmas tree.
More Christmas themed cocktails
It’s a great idea to match your drink to your party decorations if you can. Choose one of these cocktails based on color, and make it your signature party beverage.
- 1/2 ounce Amaretto liqueur
- 2 ounces cranberry juice
- 4 ounces champagne or prosecco
Pour liqueur and cranberry juice into a flute or coupe glass.
Top off with champagne.
Garnish with fresh cranberries if desired, and serve.
Make sure to chill all ingredients before using.