Move over strawberry shortcake because this Strawberry Angel Food Dessert is even better! It has layers of fresh fruit, light and fluffy cake, and a sweetened cream cheese filling that is pure heaven. You’ll be craving these mini desserts all summer long!
Strawberry Angle Food & Cream Desserts
Remember how I said earlier that mini pavlova blueberry desserts were strawberry shortcake’s crunchy cousin? Well today I have a new version of the shortcake all together, and it’s perfect for summer.
I served this strawberry angel food cream dessert for a summer dinner party, in individual compotes. That makes them the perfect individual portion size. And they taste amazing!
More recipes using fresh strawberries
Pick one of these other dessert ideas using fresh delicious strawberries.
- This red, white and blue trifle is everyone’s favorite for summer parties!
- These amazing bite size strawberries and cream treats are great for dessert tables, brunch, showers, ladies luncheons, and tea parties.
- Try this lightened up apple-berry galette for a warm dessert with strawberries inside.
Strawberries, Cake, Cool Whip, and Cream Cheese
The base is a creamy combination of angel food cake and whipped topping, which eliminates the need for additional whipped cream on top. Bright red strawberries in their own juice are spooned over top giving this dessert its fresh seasonal appeal.
The macerated strawberry topping is something I grew up eating every summer. We would always cut up fresh strawberries and sprinkle sugar on top. Then we would mix it up and let it sit for a while, and voilà! Just like magic, a delicious light syrup would appear after a few hours.
We would put it over ice cream or cake…or just eat it with whipped cream. It’s simplicity at its best!
Easy Strawberry Angel Food Cake dessert
Use prepared cake from the bakery and frozen whipped topping for an easy dessert
As a busy, working mom I love that this recipe uses shortcuts like prepared cake, and whipped topping. Angel food cake makes this treat as light as can be, but you could certainly change it up and use pound cake or sponge cake. And if you really want to make your own cake from scratch, here’s a classic angel food cake recipe.
You can also make this for a small crowd and take it to a potluck party. You might want to double the recipe depending on how many you’re serving. Just serve the cake mixture and the strawberry mixture in two separate bowls and let guests scoop it into small bowls.
- 1 – 8 ounce block light cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 – 8 ounce carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 prepared angel food cake (about 9 ounces), cut into small cubes
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, washed, dried, and diced
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- White chocolate bar for garnish
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners sugar until smooth. Fold in whipped topping and cake cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours so flavors can combine.
- Add diced strawberries to a medium bowls and sprinkle sugar over top. Mix well to coat all the strawberries.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or until sugar has drawn out the strawberries’ juice to create a light syrup.
- To serve, scoop angel food cream mixture into a small compote and top with strawberries and juice/syrup.
- Use a cheese plane to make white chocolate shavings on top.
As an alternative to the strawberry juice here, you can use a purchased strawberry syrup (like pancake or ice cream topping) and just top with fresh strawberries.