You’ll love these Southwestern Style Pierogi Appetizers for game day or any casual get-together at home. Dress up classic pierogies with a unique twist. Make these along with other easy party appetizers for girls night in or serve them for happy hour. I even love to eat them for dinner sometimes!
These are reminiscent of potato skin appetizers since pierogies are little dumplings filled with mashed potatoes. So with that idea in mind you know that the addition of cheese, sour cream, and bacon will take these to the next level.
Southwestern Style Pierogi Appetizers will change your mind about how to eat pierogies!
Today’s fun food idea is perfect for game-day snacking. It’s March madness after all, and this weekend ushers in the final four games and then the playoff on Monday. With all that cheering going on you’re going to need sustenance!
I teamed up with Mrs. T’s Pierogies for an appetizing twist on a classic food item. I’ve been a long time fan of these pierogies but dressing them up for entertaining and casual gatherings takes them to a whole new level.
My southwestern-style pierogy appetizers would be a terrific idea for Cinco de Mayo!
I was inspired to serve pierogies this way as I was thinking about how they’re made: creamy whipped potatoes and cheese folded inside a pasta shell. Since mashed potatoes are so good with toppings like sour cream and chives, I thought a southwestern spin would be the next best thing…and it was! Of course the pierogies are full of flavor on their own, and the toppings blend perfectly.
I like using the classic cheddar or four cheese varieties for this recipe, but there are 15 flavors to choose from including MINI-size pierogies! I can’t wait to turn those into fun appetizer bites.
I hope you’ll give these a try. They’re kind of addictive!
- 1 (16 oz) box Mrs. T’s Classic Cheddar Pierogies (in the freezer section)
- olive oil
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- light sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- cooked and crumbled bacon
- fresh chives, diced
- fresh cilantro, chopped, if desired
- Lightly coat pierogies with olive oil, on both sides and place on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven according to package directions, flipping half way through.
- During the last 5 minutes of baking, remove pierogies and cover with shredded cheddar cheese. Place back into oven for the remaining 5 minutes to melt cheese.
- Remove and place on serving dish. Top each pierogi with sour cream, tomatoes, bacon, and chives. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired, and serve.