Peppermint Oreo truffles taste like Christmas! This easy no-bake dessert is a crowd favorite and perfect for holiday parties. They’re made with just 5 ingredients and ideal to make ahead and freeze.
Peppermint Oreo Balls
A fact of life is that Oreos are one of the best cookies ever made! Not only are they so delicious on their own, they can also be used to make so many recipes.
I originally shared this recipe back in 2013 using peppermint Oreos but those are not readily available any longer, so this recipe is an updated version you can make all year if you want!
When to Serve Them
These Christmas truffles are easy to make for holiday entertaining.
How to Make Christmas Oreo Truffles
You can make these from start to finish in less than 2 hours. The most time consuming part is the rolling and dipping, but once you get in a groove it goes by quickly.
- Oreo Cookies. You’ll need the traditional cookies; NOT the Double Stuffed or the Thins. Use a food processor or blender to finely crush them into crumbs.
- Cream Cheese. Use the 8-ounce block, not the tub. You can use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese and I recommend using a name brand like Philadelphia. Generic brands can taste chalky and have weird texture.
- Melting Chocolate. Use semi-sweet for best flavor. You can also use white chocolate for variety. Use chocolate from the baking aisle that’s made for melting.
- Peppermint Extract. This is going to give you all the flavor of Christmas!
- Starlight Mints. You can also use candy canes if you like. Either way, you’ll coarsely crush them to garnish the tops of the truffle balls.
Step By Step
- Crush the cookies using a food processor or blender. Add the cream cheese and pulse to mix thoroughly. Add in the extract and pulse again to integrate it throughout.
- Scoop and shape the mixture into balls and place them on wax paper. Chill the truffle balls in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or until firm enough to dip them without. You can put them in the freezer to chill them faster.
- Dip them into melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed mints. Refrigerate until set.
Store truffles in the refrigerator. Since they have cream cheese in them you definitely want to store them in the fridge in an air tight container. They can sit out at a party for a couple of hours.
These are fabulous for a hostess’ party prep because they can be made up to 3 months ahead and frozen. Thaw in the refrigerator over night when you want to serve them.
PARTY TIP: Use leftover melted chocolate & crushed candy. Dip the rim of a martini glass into the chocolate and then into crushed mints. Place in refrigerator to set up, then serve truffles inside the glasses.
These are wonderful on a holiday dessert table, or as an afternoon treat served with homemade hot chocolate.
- 36 Oreo cookies
- 1 8-ounce block of Cream Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate for melting
- 1/4 cup crushed Starlight mint candies, or candy canes
- Add cookies to a food processor or blender and pulse until they are completely crumbs.
- Add cream cheese and extract to the crumbs and pulse again until everything is well blended.
- Use a mini scoop to shape about 36 balls; roll them in the palm of your hands to make them round and smooth. Freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- Add chocolate to a small microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 1 minute. Stir and heat again for 30 second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Dip balls in melted chocolate and place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Sprinkle with crushed mints and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.