A quick chocolate trifle recipe that’s ready in about 30 minutes. There are only 5 ingredients, and no baking required to make this layered trifle. Serve this dessert for dinner parties and holiday entertaining.
WHAT'S IN THIS GUIDE?
Easy Quick Chocolate Trifle dessert
This quick chocolate trifle is a hostess’ dream! You can make it in about 30 minutes and up to a day ahead.
This recipe combines chocolate cake, Oreo cookies, and coffee infused cream filling for a dessert worthy of dinner parties and celebrations. It’s the perfect centerpiece on a Christmas tablescape for dinner or brunch.
The cream filling is not too sweet which adds balance to the chocolate layers. It also softens the chocolate sandwich cookies just enough to have that dipped-in-milk consistency.
If you need a chocolate trifle recipe that’s EASY to make and looks impressive, this is for you!
How to make chocolate trifle dessert
This is a quick recipe for chocolate trifle because it starts with a pre-made cake from the bakery or grocery store. Just make sure the cake doesn’t have icing on it.
Of course you can always bake your own cake ahead of time so the trifle is easy to prepare.
- Begin with a prepared chocolate cake. It can be a non frosted layer cake or a bundt cake.
- Use a family size package of Oreo cookies for this recipe. You’ll want plenty of them!
- You’ll need a block of cream cheese. I always use the 1/3 less fat version. And let it soften at room temperature for about an hour so it’s easy to mix.
- Two tubs of Cool Whip topping is perfect to use here. It’s got just the right amount of sweetness that combines with the cream cheese.
- If you prepare coffee in the morning, make some extra for this recipe. You’ll need 1/4 cup, chilled.
- Combine the cream cheese layer first. That way it can chill and set up partially while you’re preparing the other layers.
- While the cream is chilling in the refrigerator cut the cake into 1-inch cubes and layer them in the trifle dish.
- You can break the cookies apart all at once, or as you layer them on top of the cake.
- Prepare trifle layers as directed ending with the cream layer on top.
- Keep refrigerate until ready to serve. I suggest you make this at least 2 hours ahead of time, and up to a day ahead. That lets the flavors develop and the cookies soften.
- Decorate the top with 3 whole cookies, crumbled cookies, or cake crumbs.
How to layer chocolate trifle
Layering is the key to a trifle dessert. And it starts with a clear trifle bowl so you can see the lovely layers.
You always start with the cake layer as the base to build upon. Next, you add the Oreo cookie layer breaking the cookies into pieces as you go.
PARTY TIP: To make the presentation look even prettier, line up a row of cookies all the way around the glass dish.
The cream layer must go on top of the chocolate cookie layer because it helps to soften the cookies’ texture. Once you’ve create the three layers you start all over again and end with the cream on top.
More trifle dessert recipes
There’s no denying the fact that a trifle makes a big impact on the dessert table. They are great for parties all year round. Here are some other layered dessert recipes to try.
- A tiramisu chocolate trifle is delicious any time. Especially for an Italian theme dinner party.
- Serve this Pecan Pie Trifle for Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.
- Here’s an easy Thanksgiving trifle for fall and the holiday meal.
- A red, white and blue trifle for summer.
If you like this recipe please PIN, Share, or sign up for our Newsletter at the top of the page.
- 1 prepared chocolate cake or bundt cake without icing
- 1 family size package Oreo cookies
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese, softened
- 2 tubs whipped topping
- 1/4 cups strong brewed coffee, cooled
- In a large bowl combine softened cream cheese and cold coffee using an electric mixer. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping and refrigerate to set.
- Meanwhile, cut chocolate cake into 1-inch cubes. Add a layer of cake pieces to a trifle dish.
- Set aside 3 cookies to top the trifle, and divide the rest in half. Break the cookies apart and add half of them on top of the chocolate cake layer.
- Remove cream filling from refrigerator and add half of it on top of the cookie layer.
- Repeat process of layering cake, cookies and cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with 3 whole cookies on top or crumble them and sprinkle them over the top.