Easy lemon tartlets bite size desserts are perfect for a party at home. The creamy citrus filling is served in phyllo cups for a no-bake recipe. They’re easy to make ahead so they’re great for showers, cocktail parties, or dessert tables filled with mini desserts.
Easy Bite Size Desserts for Parties
Calling all lemon lovers, this easy lemon tartlet recipe is for you!
The crunch of mini phyllo shells filled with creamy lemon curd and whipped cream filling is delicious. Top them with fresh berries for a light and easy dessert to make for a crowd.
And let’s be honest, they are so quick and easy you’ll be making them whenever you can, crowd or no crowd.
When planning almost any type of party you’ll want to incorporate these mini lemon dessert tartlets when designing dessert tables. These are terrific bridal shower desserts!
Add these phyllo cup dessert bites to a baby shower, a birthday, or an anniversary party too.
Mini phyllo shell recipes
On its own, phyllo pastry is not the most exciting thing to eat. What makes it so special is it adds a crunchy texture and is a vessel for so many wonderful flavors in all kinds of appetizers and sweets, such as these lemon tartlets.
You can find frozen mini phyllo cups as well as lemon curd in your local grocery store. This is a no-bake, make-ahead small dessert that your guests will love.
They are what I like to call semi-homemade. A touch of convenience and a whole lot of class! For more desserts in phyllo cups check out these easy baklava cups.
Do lemon curd tarts need to be refrigerated?
The simple answer is yes since lemon curd is made from egg yolks. You can find it in the jelly section of the grocery store. And just as you would refrigerate jelly after it’s been opened, you should also refrigerate lemon curd.
Since these dessert tartlets are made with whipping cream and prepared lemon curd, you will need to refrigerate them. Place them in an airtight container and they will keep for a couple of days before the shells begin to deteriorate from the moisture.
COOKS TIP: Make the filling a day ahead and refrigerate overnight. Then fill the phyllo shells when ready to serve.
If you have leftover lemon curd on its own, you can also put it in an airtight container and freeze it for later use.
What is lemon curd?
Lemon curd is usually comprised of beaten egg yolks, lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest cooked together until thick and then set creating a beautiful creamy smooth spread used for dessert fillings in pies, cakes, and tarts.
If you want to increase the “homemade” part of this dessert then give homemade lemon curd a try.
What are soft peaks?
When cream or eggs get whipped, air gets trapped inside causing them to foam and increase in volume, and then will become stiff. In this recipe the whipping cream will not get very stiff because it’s mixed with the lemon curd.
The result should be thick and creamy, and slightly firm.
How to make easy lemon tartlets in phyllo cups
A jar of prepared lemon curd combined with whipping cream and vanilla extract creates these tasty dessert bites. Top them with fresh fruit like blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.
COOKS TIP: Start with everything well chilled including the heavy cream, lemon curd, the mixing bowl, and whisk. This helps to form the whipped cream quicker and easier. Use heavy whipping cream for sturdier peaks.
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to starting assembly to get very cold. The cold will help create peaks in your mixture much faster.
- If you want to crisp up your phyllo cups go ahead and do this now according to package instructions. Let cool completely.
- Add cold whipping cream, lemon curd, and almond extract to your mixing bowl and mix until thickened and soft peaks form. It can take about 10-12 minutes so using a stand mixer with whisk attachment is great for this.
- Scoop mixture into each pastry cup and chill in the fridge.
- Garnish with fresh berries and a sprig of mint if you choose.
Try not to eat them before your guests arrive!
More Bite Size Desserts
Add these other delicious treats to your dessert table or tea party ideas.
- Lemon & Lime cheesecake tarts
- Mini cheesecakes recipe
- Bourbon balls bite size desserts
- Stuffed strawberries and cream
- Chocolate nests
- 2 package frozen mini phyllo cups (30 cups total)
- 1 cup whipping cream, very cold
- 2/3 cup lemon curd, chilled - find jars of lemon curd in the jelly section
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- fresh berries or your choice - blueberries, blackberries, or raspberries
- Place mixing bowl and whisk attachment(s) in freezer for about 10 minutes to get very cold.
- Heat phyllo cups according to package directions if you want to, to crisp them up. Let cool completely.
- Add cold whipping cream, lemon curd, and extract in cold mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until thickened soft peaks form. About 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into cooled pastry shells and chill tartlets in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Garnish with fresh berries, and a sprig of mint if desired.