Oreo truffles are hands down one of the best bite-size mini desserts for parties. This no-bake recipe is easy to make ahead with just 3 ingredients and you can freeze them so they’re ready when you are.
Oreo truffle balls
Oreo cookie balls are a delicious twist using the cookie classic. Think Oreo meets cheesecake meets cake pop dipped in chocolate!
A famous cookie classic is familiar and nostalgic to all and when we can take a beloved classic and use it to create the best simple no-bake dessert, we no longer need to worry about whether to twist it open and lick the cream or dunk it whole, because these adorable bite-size truffles are the perfect bite every time.
These truffles are among some of the best decadent chocolate dessert ideas. Simple and classy, no-mess convenience, they are perfect mini desserts for weddings and easy enough for an afternoon tea.
You can design them to your liking, using white or dark chocolate, or both. Drizzle with sprinkles, coarse sea salt, or if you’re feeling extra fancy some gold leaf sprinkles. Add a design or keep it simple with no additions at all!
Serving these Oreo truffles at a party or gathering is a simple way to wow your guests. When designing dessert tables you want to be sure to add these alongside other sweets and treats.
Best Bite-Size Dessert for a Party
What makes these the best mini desserts for weddings and parties?
- Easy and Delicious!
- Can dip them in different colored chocolate to match the party theme
- Use white, milk, or dark chocolate
- Add sprinkles on top for extra decoration
- Decorate them with chocolate swirls on top
- Sprinkle a little Maldon sea salt flakes on top for a sweet and salty treat
- Double dip them so they are half white chocolate and half dark chocolate
- Can serve them on a lollipop stick to make Oreo Pops
- Add them to make your own dessert skewers
How to Make Oreo Cookie Balls
You only need three ingredients to make Oreo truffles: Oreos, Cream Cheese, and Chocolate.
To dress them up you can add flake salt, sprinkles, finely chopped nuts, edible gold dust, etc.
- Crush Oreo cookies in a food processor and add to a large bowl. Add cream cheese and combine it with the cookies. Beat with mixer or combine it with your hands until well blended.
- Form 1 inch balls using a mini scoop to measure. Chill in freezer for about 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over low heat.
- Take out chilled Oreo balls and use a toothpick or two forks to dip them in melted chocolate one by one. Place on Wax paper to cool and set.
Note: You can also serve these on lollipop sticks. Just insert the sticks into the chilled truffles before dipping them into the melted chocolate.
What is a double boiler?
The double boiler method for melting chocolate is my favorite way to smooth dipping chocolate every time. It’s a simple process that doesn’t require any special equipment; just a bowl and a saucepan.
- Use a medium size pot and fill it about 1/2-inch with water. Place a proportional size bowl on top of the pot. It should rest easily without falling off.
- Add chocolate pieces to the bowl and turn the heat onto low. The water will begin to simmer and heat the bowl, melting the chocolate.
TIP: Make sure your bowl is heat resistant. Use metal or Pyrex for best results.
Do Oreo Truffles need to be refrigerated?
Oreo truffles can technically last about 2 hours out of the fridge however it’s best to keep them refrigerated at all times, before and after serving. The cream cheese needs to be refrigerated for food safety. When wrapped individually, these cookie balls can last up to a month in the fridge!
Can I freeze them?
Definitely! These are a great dessert to make ahead of time or in bigger batches to freeze some for later. Just remember to thaw them completely before serving them. You may notice some condensation on your chocolate while thawing. Not to worry, if necessary just wipe it off gently with a paper towel.
What is baking chocolate?
The difference between baking chocolate and regular chocolate is generally the amount of sugar in the chocolate. Baking chocolate isn’t really something you want to snack on all on its own because it usually contains little to no sugar. It is great for baking recipes that have other sweet components already in the ingredient list.
More Bite-Size Mini Desserts
- peppermint Oreo truffles
- easy brownie pops
- bourbon balls
- lemon tartlets bite-size desserts
- mini cheesecakes
- easy baklava cups
If you like this recipe and ideas, PIN, Share, or sign up for our Newsletter at the top of the page.
- 36 Oreo cookies, crushed using a food processor
- 1 8-oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1 lb. white or dark baking chocolate; or 8 ounces of each
- In a large mixing bowl, combine crushed cookies and cream cheese.
- Beat with mixer on low speed OR use your hands to combine until well blended.
- Form 1-inch balls using a mini scoop for even sizes.
- Chill in freezer for about 30 minutes to firm.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over low heat.
- Take out chilled Oreo balls and using a toothpick or two forks, dip them into melted chocolate one by one. Place on Wax paper to cool and set.
- Decorate as desired using colorful chocolate, sprinkles, flake sea salt, crushed Oreo crumbs, etc.