This homemade hot chocolate recipe for a crowd is rich and creamy, and tastes like pudding! Make it from scratch with chocolate, cream, and sweetened condensed milk, for a party or hot cocoa bar.
Easy large batch hot chocolate recipe
Want to know how to make REAL hot chocolate? I’m here to tell you it will change your whole view of the classic comfort beverage, and it’s SO EASY to make!
This homemade hot chocolate recipe is rich, creamy and delicious. And it’s easy to make too. Just add your ingredients together and let the stove or slow cooker do the work for you.
This is a large batch perfect for a party or casual celebrations. You could half the recipe if you like, for a smaller group.
It’s a great hot beverage for the holidays as well as seasonal gatherings. Share it with friends and enjoy the accolades when they tell you how good it is!
This post contains affiliate links.
How to keep hot chocolate warm for a crowd
There are a few different ways to serve hot chocolate at a party. The length of time it will stay hot will vary according to the method.
- Keep a large pot on the stove.
- Use a slow cooker on low or warm setting, depending on how hot your model runs.
- I have a couple of these white thermos carafes that look pretty on a hot chocolate bar. Easy to pour and the white goes with all types of décor. These are also pretty and a little more modern and stylized.
- Pour it into a soup tureen and use a ladle to scoop it into cups.
- Serve in batches using a china coffee pot or vintage hot chocolate pot. You’ll need to refill the pot as necessary, but the “pretty” factor is worth it.
- Use a large chafing dish with sterno, on a buffet table. Use a ladle to serve.
- Use a stainless steel thermal server for convenience and to keep the hot chocolate hot!
Serve hot chocolate and dessert on the patio around a fire pit. It makes for a very inviting and relaxing evening for gatherings outside.
What to do with leftover hot chocolate
- If you have some leftover, cover and store it in the refrigerator. It will thicken slightly, and you can eat it with a spoon. It’s like pudding!
- When the recipe is chilled completely you can make this frozen hot chocolate shake.
When to serve large batch hot chocolate
This is a terrific drink for entertaining kids and adults alike. My family couldn’t stop raving about it.
- It’s perfect for fall holidays like a Halloween pumpkin carving party.
- Keep it in a slow cooker for Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving celebrations.
- This large recipe is most certainly apropos during Christmas parties.
- Make a batch for game day parties or Super Bowl.
- Chocolate and Valentines day go hand in hand so serve some for a ladies night Galentines party.
- 1 pound good quality dark chocolate pieces
- 1/2 gallon half & half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot and heat on low for up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Do NOT put the lid on the pot or it will over heat and boil over.
You can also make in a slow cooker. Add ingredients and heat over low for 2 hours. Stir occasionally.