If you like hot chocolate you’re going to LOVE my Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe. This rich and creamy shake is delicious as an afternoon snack or as a whimsical dessert at a dinner party! Make it using my homemade hot chocolate recipe for a perfectly indulgent treat. Add this to your list of chocolate frozen treats to make this summer and beyond.
Remember when Oprah included frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity as one of her favorite things? That’s the first time I had ever heard of such a thing and I’ve been obsessed with the idea ever since.
It wasn’t until I made my homemade hot chocolate that I realized I could turn that recipe into a frozen version. I’m sharing it here and I’ll tell you it’s one indulgence you don’t want to miss out on.
Upgrade the milkshake with this homemade frozen hot chocolate with ice cream
This frozen hot chocolate shake is the bonus you get when you make my hot chocolate recipe, linked below. Since the hot recipe makes a large batch you can easily have enough left over to make this frozen version.
The result is a rich, creamy, shake-like drink that’s good enough to call dessert! Make it with either chocolate or vanilla ice cream and serve with marshmallows and whipped cream on top.
Frozen hot chocolate vs Milkshake
What’s the difference in this frozen hot chocolate and a regular milkshake you might ask. Well for starters, a classic milkshake is made with milk and ice cream and maybe an additional flavoring. It’s good, no doubt. But we can do better.
This frozen chocolate shake however, is full of ingredients that have already been pre-mixed into hot chocolate. When you combine it with ice cream you’ll get so much more flavor than in a regular milkshake. It will be creamier and richer than you can imagine!
Make it with chocolate ice cream to intensify the flavor even more. Or use vanilla or coffee flavor ice cream to give it a different twist.
More ideas for chocolate lovers
If you love the thought of chocolate indulgences you’re sure to find something else here.
- These chocolate fudge caramel mini bundt cakes are easy to pick up and eat. They are the perfect size for parties and showers.
- Choose from 16 decadent chocolate dessert recipes for entertaining.
- Serve a chocolate & cheese dessert board for the ultimate in modern entertaining.
- Host a chocolate tasting party for ladies night and your friends will love you forever!
- Serving up this chocolate chess pie is a family tradition at our holiday gatherings.
Which one do you want to try first?
How to make Frozen Hot Chocolate
It’s simple to make this frozen dessert because you will be incorporating the homemade hot chocolate recipe you’ve already made ahead.
Once the hot chocolate has been chilled just add it to a blender along with the ice cream and blend on low speed until mixed. Garnish it with whipped cream and marshmallows to emulate the hot version, and enjoy.
- 2-3 scoops chocolate or vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup homemade hot chocolate recipe, chilled
- marshmallows and whipped cream to garnish if desired
- In a blender, combine ice cream and hot chocolate on low setting until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass and garnish before serving.