A Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with feta is an excellent option for a summer side dish. There’s no creamy dressing to worry about sitting in the heat, and the classic flavors all blend together splendidly. Get the recipe and serve this up with more of our summer entertaining ideas.
This summer side dish is cool and refreshing
When I’m creating menus for entertaining such as a dinner party, I’m very methodical in my approach. The dishes should complement one another rather than compete with each other. The flavors and ingredients should fit the occasion. And there should be an overall representation of food groups.
Basically you don’t want too much of the same thing, nor do you want flavors that will overpower everything else. As we enter into the summer party season, this is one side dish recipe that’s always a good fit for the best juicy burgers, or Greek burger with tzatziki sauce, a hot dog roast, steaks, or in this case, kabobs.
This Mediterranean chickpea salad works well for summer because it’s vinaigrette-based instead of cream-based. Don’t get me wrong, I do love a good creamy classic potato salad or classic pasta salad. But sometimes you just don’t want to have to worry so much about the sun and heat factor, and food safety.
Serve this salad side dish for backyard cookouts, barbecues, and potlucks
This salad hits all the right notes for an easy backyard bbq: it’s light & full of veggies, has tons of flavor, and pairs well with many protein courses. It’s also unique enough that if you take it to a potluck party, it won’t be a duplicate. For more options check out these summer side dish recipes.
This salad contains some of the most popular ingredients in the Mediterranean flavor profile. It has cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, feta, and dill. The garbanzo beans give it a nice meaty bite while the fresh vegetables add texture and crunch. Yu can read more about the Mediterranean diet here.
If you don’t feel like making the vinaigrette from scratch or you’re in a hurry, you can use a bottles dressing from the store. We won’t tell!
HOSTESS TIP: Keep salad chilled during a party by filling a large bowl with an ice bath – not too watered down – sprinkled with rock salt. Place the salad serving bowl on top of the ice bath. The ice bath keeps things colder than ice alone, and the rock salt slows down the ice melting process.
- 2 – 15 ounce cans chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- cucumber, sliced and cut into quarters
- small can of sliced black olives, drained
- crumbled feta cheese
- fresh dill
- vinaigrette dressing, recipe below
White wine vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt, and pepper, or to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- To make vinaigrette add all ingredients except olive oil, into a bowl and whisk together.
- Slowly add in olive oil while whisking, until fully combined. You can also add all ingredients to a jar with tight-fitting lid and shake vigorously until combined.
- Add salad ingredients to a medium sized bowl, and mix to combine.
- Pour vinaigrette over salad and gently stir to cover.