This 4-tier orange layer cake recipe is pretty and delicious! Serve it for an orange or citrus theme party, or for any summer entertaining.
Perfect Summer Dessert Recipe for Entertaining
This orange layer cake was served with our ideas for a garden party. The theme was “orange” so everything coordinated through color.
If you like strawberry shortcake then you’ll love this twist made with oranges. This cake recipe is easy to make and it’s all from scratch. I don’t bake cakes from scratch that often but I do like to do it for special occasions.
One thing notable about this cake is that it’s dense like pound cake so a heavy icing wouldn’t do here. The whipped cream is the perfect balance and fresh whipped cream is so easy to make and tastes delicious!
The oranges bring in a freshness much the same way that strawberries do for strawberry shortcake. The presentation is also a winner. The four layers are tall and impressive. Definitely a centerpiece for your dessert table.
NOTE: You’re going to want to let your stand mixer do all the work on this recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon orange extract
- 1 Tablespoon almond extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup Silk Original Coconutmilk
- 1 quart Heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 15-oz cans mandarin oranges packed in light syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare 2 9-inch baking pans with cooking spray and dusting of flour.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until well combined – about 8 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Stir in orange and almond extracts.
- Combine flour and baking powder and sift. Slowly add in flour mixture to creamed mixture while mixing – about 1/2 cup at a time. Combine well each time before adding the next 1/2 cup.
- Finally, add in Coconut Milk and mix well until batter is smooth. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool on wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from pans. Let cool completely.
- Put bowl and whisk attachment in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to get chilled.
- Pour cold whipping cream into mixing bowl, add sugar and whip together until fluffy firm peaks form – about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, open cans of mandarin oranges and drain syrup, .
- Assemble the cake:
Cut each layer of cake through the middle, crosswise.
- Add base layer to your cake stand and poke tiny holes all over the top of the cake layer using the end of a chop stick.
- Use a ladle or spoon to drizzle mandarin orange syrup all over the cake layer.
- Spread a layer of whipped cream on top of cake and top with a layer of orange slices. Repeat layering process with remaining ingredients.
- Chill until ready to serve.