Today’s party dessert idea is a childhood favorite: rice krispies treats with an upgrade!
Think “dipping,” from chocolate sprinkles, to crushed Oreos, to mini (multicolored) chocolate chips. The options are endless, really.
Plus, you can easily make these without breaking the bank. Not bad, right?
This is a fun, hands‐on activity to do with the kids. Okay, and adults. I mean, who doesn’t like rice krispies treats?
If you’re throwing a birthday party for children, consider setting up a rice krispies treat dipping station, where the kids can make their own “krispies pop”.
More rice krispie treats party ideas
Here are some more fun ways to decorate rice krispy treats for parties and gatherings.
- rice krispies treat cake
- Valentines rice krispie treats
- rice krispies treat ice cream cones
- rice krispies school treats
PARTY TIP: These make great party favors when you wrap them in clear cellophane bags and tie with ribbon.
Rice Krispie treats dippers
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 package (10 oz. or 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups of miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- lollipop sticks
- In a large saucepan, on low heat, melt butter. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Mix in Rice Krispies cereal and stir until well coated.
- Once it’s cool enough to touch (about 5 minutes), butter the palm of your hands and roll a small ball of the rice krispies mixture; set on a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Continue until all the mixture has been used.
- For Rice Krispies on a stick, insert stick into the center and set aside for at least 30 minutes to finish cooling
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Assortment of sprinkles & toppings – think crushed Oreos
- Foam block
- Place toppings in individual bowls. Set out for dipping.
- Using a double broiler (or microwave), melt chocolate chips. Remove the chocolate from the stove.
- Dip the tops of your rice krispies treats into the chocolate, hover over the bowl until its no longer dripping.
- Either dip or sprinkle topping(s) of your choice.
- Set decorated treats into a foam block or something that will keep them upright.
Have fun and be creative!
PARTY TIP: if the chocolate or the toppings are too thick and heavy, the lollipop stick may go through the rice krispies treat balls.
Concept and photos by Lisa Thiele