If you’re wondering what to wear to a tropical themed party I’ve got you covered. I’m sharing tropical themed outfits for a Caribbean theme or Luau party. And whether you want to dress up in a kitschy attire or a lovely tropical theme dress, you’ll find ideas and resources here.
What to Wear for a Tropical Party
Here’s a list of outfit ideas to wear to any tropical party, from a Havana theme to a Luau!
A while back, three of our neighbors collaborated and threw a family friendly luau party. It was the perfect inspiration for my next “what to wear” post! Don’t we all love a good luau or tropical themed party in the summer!
Here are some themed clothing ideas and affiliate links to buy them. You can also shop at places like Goodwill for Hawaiian print shirts.
Traditional tropical outfit
Costume parties are fun but some tropical parties call for a bit more sophistication. Bright colors, floral prints, enamel jewelry, and straw bags are some of the signature pieces you’ll want to look for. Grab a lei and fruity drink served from a coconut cup and you’re all set to celebrate!
- A floral print short dress is a definite party staple.
- Jumpsuits are fabulous, and wearing one with a tropical print is a bold statement. If you’re fashion-forward enough to wear one like this you’ll be chic and festive.
- Nothing lets you stay cool like a loose fitting, flowing kaftan dress – my personal fave.
- Tropical leaf prints are great to wear. Here’s an array of prints and styles for comfy dresses.
- Sometimes it’s fun to let the shoes do the talking. Tropical print shoes make a whimsical statement and will go with any solid colored outfit.
- Brightly colored tropical flowers are a stand out on this dress.
- A straw Panama hat or fedora is a must for outdoor parties.
- White or light colored linen pants will work for men or women.
- Don this fitted dress with tropical floral print.
- A tropical print romper is adorable for summer.
- Coordinate with your partner in matching his and hers outfits.
Simple Clothing Options
If you’re the shy type or you like to keep things more subtle, here are some tropical clothing items that may suit you.
Classic “dress up” tropical party attire
I think I love a good dress up party more now than I did in my 20’s! It’s so much fun to go all out with a tropical outfit that’s more like a costume. Here are some great choices for a Luau or Caribbean party.
- A natural tone grass skirt can be paired with a coconut top or this beautiful flower halter top. Or you can buy a complete hula outfit.
- A wrap sarong skirt or pareo skirt can also be worn with the tops above.
- Leis and a leaf skirt are whimsical and kitschy.
- A traditional mumu dress is loose and comfortable.
- Choose from an array of colorful leis, headpieces, and wrist bands.
- A big straw island hat looks great as a photo prop!
- Go all out for this Hawaiian hula outfit.
- Match your mate in these pineapple print outfits.
Below you can see how my husband and I got decked out. I think he outdid himself! He found the tropical shirt at Goodwill for just a few dollars, and he bought the hat for our neighborhood wine festival (my daughter said he looked like a hipster) last month. I wore this bold printed dress that I’ve only worn in Florida because it’s just so…bold! Big earrings, some floral mule wedges, and a flower in the hair completed my look.