DIY Chocolate Easter Bowl

I was beside my self when Debbie of Wants and Wishes submitted this Easter Chocolate Bowl tutorial!  I knew right away that you fabulous readers would enjoy this.  Not only does it make for an adorable display, but the fact that it’s also edible makes me giddy!  Here are directions from Debbie:
You will need:
  •  mini balloons
  • dipping chocolate
  • shortening
  • wax or parchment paper
  • peeps! chicks or bunnies (I love these)
  • candy eggs (I used speckled jelly beans & chocolate filled egg
  1. Melt your chocolate using the microwave, or double boiler, according to package directions.
  2. While your chocolate is melting blow up mini balloons and coat the bottom half of the balloons with shortening. (this will help the chocolate not stick to the balloon).  Use a cookie sheet or plate with parchment/wax paper placed on top.
  3. Roll the bottom half of the balloon in the chocolate, while holding on at the top half of the balloon. I wanted the chocolate bowl to have a little rough feel to it, since it is suppose to be a basket. No two will be alike and this makes it easier as it not suppose to be perfect. You might have to apply more than one coat. If a small area is a little transparent or you need to smooth a spot out, take the back of a spoon with a little chocolate on it and swirl in the direction of the chocolate
  4. With the balloon in your left hand. Place a small circle of chocolate on the plate/cookie sheet with your right hand. Place the balloon on top of the chocolate disk. Place in the freezer to set faster.
When the chocolate is set, pop the balloon with a pin and take out the balloon remains.  Fill with jelly beans, chocolate eggs and other candy. Top with a bunny or chick peep.  You can package them in boxes, cellophane bags or on top of individual platters at each place setting.
Thanks again to Debbie for sharing this great project.  You can find some cute Easter printables to go along with this in her Etsy shop.
  If you have a DIY tutorial you’d like to share, please send me an email with your idea.  Good photos are essential.  Cheers!

Comments

1. JC's Loft says:

How cute is this project and so so easy!!

Paula

2. SO cute! AND you can eat it! LoVE!

Good luck in the mom's circle!

3. Super cute project! Have to try this for Easter.

4. Those are just adorable! Perfect amount of treats for the kids. Sometimes baskets can be WAY too much candy!

5. Susan Crabtree says:

adorable!

6. What a neat and easy idea! Thanks!

7. I've tried the chocolate cups before with little success. Maybe I'll give it another go for Easter – these are adorable!!

I knew this would be a great project to share! I want to make some my self!
    Better luck MEGMAC!

9. Carmie of the Single Nester says:

Really lovely idea! Gotta love chocolate!

10. Wants and Wishes says:

Thanks for all your sweet comments. What's so great about this chocolate bowl is it doesn't have to be perfect! That's the beauty about it, just like baskets aren't smooth!

11. Lissa (Bellenza) says:

Would never have thought balloons are used as chocolate molds! Great tutorial and adorable finished product!

12. I've had the pleasure of working with Debbie, and currently working with her again! She's amazing so this is not a shock to me! Keep up the amazing ideas and work!!!

13. Karen Dawkins says:

BIG TIP: If the chocolate is too warm, it will pop the balloon and you'll decorate the ceiling, walls and well, everything, with chocolate "sprinkles." Be sure to let it cool a little before you dip!!!

Yes, speaking from experience!

Happy Easter.

14. Christine says:

These are soooo cute!

15. Pitsimiinin Laura says:

Just adorable,
    and so cute easter idea, I like!
    Pitsimiini loves chocolate!

16. Anonymous says:

Todella hauska idea. Kiitos! Käy hyvin jouluksikin, jos nyt ei saa aikaiseksi toteuttaa. =)

17. I have tried to make a chocolate bowl before using a balloon, but everytime I tried (3) the balloon burst and myself and son got covered in hot chocolate.

What am I doing wrong.

• Wendy, do you think maybe the chocolate is too hot when you dip it? I haven’t actually done it my self so I’m not sure.

18. I just had to share this post on my facebook page! I know all my followers will LOVE it!

19. what size is the clear plastic box?