Here are the pictures from the Operation Shower-March of Dimes event that I designed & styled on Sunday. Operation Shower gave a “shower in a box” as well as a car seat to each of 25 new or expecting moms, who have husbands serving in the military. This shower was a little different than the usual ones, in that many women had their babies prematurely thus missing out on a traditional baby shower.
Kmart was the major sponsor of this event and donated so many wonderful items for the boxes, prize giveaways, and the 25 car seats! We even had a special guest MC the event. Wendy Davis from Lifetime Television’s Army Wives was the hostess for the day.
The theme was “A is for Apple” and combined flash cards with apples and pears. The colors used, and the choice of fruit was inspired by the fabric used by Resa Designs in creating bibs for all the babies. The bibs were draped over the backs of the mother’s chairs. I framed a piece of the fruit fabric to be displayed as part of the decor, and made 27 napkin rings with more of the fabric, and attached them with a diaper pin.
- All the flash cards, invitations, box stickers, and place card circles were designed and donated by Kim at TomKat Studio. They were all ‘pear’fectly adorable!
- Adorable “baby” cupcake wrappers provided by Plates and Napkins.
- We had a fantastic photographer, Stephanie Beaty of Lifeography, offer her services for the day, as well as donate a photo package to one lucky mom! Check out her blog post and The Give Ten Project.
- Another great prize was a custom art piece donated by Inspired Design, which can be hung in the baby’s nursery.
- We had 120 red and green apples generously donated by Turkey Knobb Apples…the best apples grown right here in Virginia! These were used in the decor and then gathered by the guests in there eco-friendly bags, to take home. Great way to save the Earth and your budget!
- Delicious chocolate ganache covered cupcakes topped with white chocolate fruit pieces were another wonderful donation by one of our readers, Jenifer Helton. She also follows our Facebook page if you’d like to contact her for your own cake needs.
Design Details:The tables were done with a contemporary fruit centerpiece. The mother’s napkin ring was an apple-shaped teething ring given by Kangaroo Boo, while the guest’s was the fabric rings I made. Small flower arrangements were set in baby food jars and flanked the centerpiece boxes. Each table had it’s own monochromatic color scheme.
You could use this type of decor yourself with a theme such as “Fruits of our Labor,” for a baby shower, or “Apple of my Eye,” or “Perfect Pear(pair).”
I am honored to have been a part of such a special day. Big, big thanks to all who donated their items and their time!!