Adorable train theme birthday party ideas featuring a “train station” dessert table, fun activities and cute party favors.
Wow, I feel like I’ve had lots of boy parties to share lately, which is good because sometimes the “prettiness” of girl parties seems to take over our creative side. This Train theme party is designed by Debbie of Wants & Wishes, for her nephew’s 3rd birthday.
Debbie always adds such thoughtfulness and creativity to her parties and this one is no exception as seen by her “build your own train” desserts.
The dessert bar looks like a train station transformed into a sweet station on platform “3,” for the age.
Banners and Stop signs create the atmosphere of being in a train station.
Desserts include the birthday boy’s favorite treats. Cupcakes, suckers, candied popcorn, red licorice, and railroad sugar cookies.
Mini train car cakes can be filled with chocolate rock candy cargo!
Cookies are decorated to look like railroad tracks, then the kids can build their dessert train on top of it. Select just one candy or mix all different ones.
Kori shares her little guy’s second birthday party with these train party details.
- Create a “train track” table runner using plain cotton fabric and thick markers.
- Add some wooden trains to the center of the table.
- Set up the kid’s party favors as part of the place settings.
Train Theme Activities
Include some fun train themed activities such as coloring trains, train puzzles, and making a cardboard train out of boxes.
- Provide train conductor style hats for each child to wear and take home.
- Give little copies of “The Little Engine that Could” to each little guest.
- Add a wooden train whistle for everyone.
- Set up outside if you have the space and weather for it.
- Plan parties in between meals so some snacks and some desserts will be more than enough. Set up appetizers and finger food separate from the dessert.
- Use vintage train sets to decorate with, if you can find them. Look in thrift shops, online, or in your own attic!
- Buy most of the sweets were from the grocery store and decorate them your self using the color scheme. Top the cake with a toy train car.
- Add one or two specialty items such as themed cookies or fancy cake.