"MAD" Hatter Halloween Tea Party

I don’t know what inspired me to do this, but the idea came to me to create a “MAD” Hatter Halloween Tea Party.  The Alice in Wonderland theme has been all around the web in beautiful birthdays, showers, and weddings.  I thought it would be fun to pay homage to the theme for Halloween, and play up the “Mad” concept.  Fortunately at the same time I had my brainstorm I “met” Gwynn of Gwynn Wasson Designs, and she was happily on board to help out!  She created all the printables for the design (except the clock toppers on the cupcakes) and will be offering them to you for Free Here!  She totally got where I was going with this and designed some fabulous printables.
I hope it’s not too late for you to be inspired by this party….once again I pulled this together in a week.  You can too!

I incorporated all the usual suspects, with a twist.  Check out the Mad Hatter and the Queen of Hearts below – they’ve seen better days!  The Cheshire Cat is on his 9th life, the Dormouse is now a Rat, the White Rabbit didn’t quite make it on time (see bottom)…

Get the Details of the design & those ‘extra touches’:
  • Silver serving pieces I already own are set for tea…best part is I didn’t have to polish it.
  • Add googly eyes to playing cards and name cards for added creepiness.
  • Tiny mushroom candies were placed in ‘dirt’ parfaits with the gummy Caterpillar added on top; also a few butterflies lingering in the woods have found their way here.
  • Get the party started with a vodka & cranberry shooter served in a test tube.
  • A little adhesive gems added to clock toppers & silver skull rings (used as glass charms) always add flair.
  • Black flowers are part of the centerpiece pedestal.
  • Favor boxes filled with candy bones and a chocolate truffle.  Add decorative paper to the inside of the box for an unexpected finishing touch.
  • Icons from the story are used throughout: watches & clocks, key napkin rings, playing cards (hearts of course); combined with spooky Halloween decor: spiders, webs, skulls.
  • My obsession with lace continues as I created a table runner made of ribbon, lace, & trim, and draped more lace and trim around the party.
See LOTS more photos in our Facebook Album!
Happy Halloween!

For more inspiration, follow me on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook. Cheers!

Comments

1. Save the Date for Cupcakes says:

Saw it pop up over on FB and I was all over it:) Why didn't I think of the mushrooms on the 'dirt' parfaits?! UHH~ love it♥

2. Tammy@Events By Tammy says:

Really creative! i love everything.

3. Love it!! I've just been posting this week about a regular ol'Mad Hatter party… so fun to see the Halloween spin on the theme. :)

4. Glory/ Glorious Treats says:

Wow, looks great! Wonderfully creative take on a Halloween party!

5. Love this! The details are fantastic!

6. Jenny @ Hank + Hunt says:

This. Is. Fabulous!!!! Incredible job! I love how glamourously creepy you made this. I always had nightmares about the jabberwocky…

7. Cláudia Franco balões says:

Fantastic!!!! I love everything! Congratulations!

8. The Trouts says:

This is absolutely amazing!!!

9. I love that you posted this! I'm throwing a Mad Tea Party this Halloween and while I have most of the planning done I have certainly been inspired by this post!
    Thanks!

10. Serendipity! Every year I volunteer and create a table for a charity table setting luncheon. I was going to do an Alice in Wonderland theme but with a dark edge to it and call my table 'Go Ask Alice'. And then circumstances made it not possible, maybe next year. Anyways, I believe you enjoyed the table setting posts I did the last 2 years. Although I didn't do a table this time, I did attend and I have began this years posts today and for a few days more. Peek if you are interested again. There were some nice ideas.

11. Kim @ The Celebration Shoppe says:

Chris – this is fabulous! How did you make the little mushroom toppers on the dessert?

How Cool! I mean.. Creepy! This is awesome! I am totally diggin' the tiny mushrooms in the dirt!(no pun intended) :-)

13. You are so wonderfully creative! It's really such a talent. I'm insanely jealous. The last time I attempted to do something creative at home for my daughter, it was a giant flop. I'm going to keep reading your blog, maybe your creativity will rub off on me and I'll be able to make her a fabulous 2nd birthday party!

14. Melissa C says:

The details are great!! & super creepy hehe

Thank You everyone! I loved pulling this together!

Kim, the little mushrooms I found at a random store, Five Below, and couldn't believe my luck! : D

16. Amanda Parker at Shindig says:

Amazing! I think the "Mad Hatter" is every party planner's dream — you can get so creative. And YOU DID! Wow, I love it all. Sometimes working on the fly is the best way to do it!

17. Kori Clark says:

Love it! Perfectly creepy! Great execution of a fabulous theme!

18. KDC Events says:

I am visiting from the Blog Frog Halloween Community. Your site is fabulous! I love how you did the the Mad Hatter party. I have always wanted to do one of those =)

19. Susan Crabtree says:

This is incredible-you did an AMAZING job!

20. You and Gwynn are a match made in heaven. UNREAL!!!!! Love it! Now if only I was in Richmond and could come crash this party :)

21. I love the spooky twist on this theme! You really freshened up a party theme that has been all over the place this year!

22. Morgan @ PepperDesignBlog.com says:

WOW! I love the mantel, the centerpieces, the EAT ME treats – Chris, it looks awesome!

23. Brittany @ GreyGreyDesigns says:

Love it! Totally refreshing to see another take on Halloween!

24. chicsweets says:

LOVE IT Chris! You outdid yourself (once again)

25. Enchanted Expectations says:

So cute I love it all. I really love the favors!

26. Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top says:

This is so fabulous! I love all the little details. Well done!

27. Adena (aka cre82learn) says:

I saw your thumbnail on Show and Tell and just had to come check it out!! My daughter is MADD about Alice, Mad Hatter, watches, keys….and you incorporated it all!! I am saving this to show her. I see a party in our future. Amazing job.

28. Sandy Ang says:

Such fantastic party decoration – just love it.

29. I don't know about me doing this all in one week. All those little items … I love the key napkin rings. Seems like a fun party!

30. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says:

Chris – Fabulous as always! i just adore the chocolate mushrooms – too cute! I'll be featuring this today – stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase – I greatly appreciate it. Hope you have a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

31. Le Chateau des fleurs says:

LOVE IT!!!
    Frenchy

32. howtohostess says:

I love the Halloween twist on this theme, just terrific. I featured this party today on my blog, thanks for sharing!

33. Petit Artiste, Beatriz Azevedo says:

This table definitely states it clear: you're several steps ahead of us in terms of creativity. And You have been so consistently sharing so many halloween tables which made it impossible to me to not try to put together a tiny decor here at home, although Halloween is not celebrated or played in Brazil. Actually, here Halloween is more known among medium and above social classes; it has been introduced mainly by English language schools. I am more interested in the childlike decors than in the adult ones and this week you published two examples of sheer creativity, your and nina's. Congratulations. Beatriz

34. SIMPLY ICED says:

Oh my. I love the lace gift boxes. I mean everything looks great but I am into lace. Great work

1. [...] Black & White “Mad” Hatter Halloween Tea Party [...]

2. [...] Gwynn Wasson Designs?!  So pretty!!  You may remember Gwynn’s printable designs from the “Mad” Hatter Halloween party I created in the fall.  Here she has set up a beautiful dessert table full of sweet treats, sweet [...]