French Themed Birthday Party

French-Party

This past weekend I hosted a birthday party for my husband.  We went with a French Happy Hour theme as sort of a nod to the time we spent in France, BC(before children).  For the decor, I used what I already had, and was so pleased with the result.  Hope you like it!

Guests were greeted with French wine and champagne!   I set up this area with my DIY pipe & drape frame system to hold old frames, a ‘C’ for Chuck, and curtain panels to frame it all out.  I brought out an old chest to act as a bar, and iced the champagne in a garden urn.
  • A little taste of France: Goat cheese toasts w/caramelized onions, Brie tarts with strawberry preserves, mini quiches, and “french” fries served in paper cones with a fleur de lis embelishment.
  • An old suit case was used to serve the toasts out of, and pictures from our trip created a ‘banner’ above.
  • The dessert table served up fruit tartlets, palmiers, croquembouche, and these divine macarons from Petites Bouchees.  I chose the chocolate-espresso butter cream, and the hazelnut-caramel.  Delicious!
  • I used drawers to display the macarons, an urn for height and to hold the palmiers, and a frame fitted with ‘post card’ scrapbook paper to hold the fruit tarts.
  • Other decorative elements were a globe, some French books I picked up in Paris, and a candelabra hanging above.

french themed dessert table

• Take home favors consisted of various monogrammed items: note pads, coaster sets, and note cards.  The bags were wrapped with coordinating paper used throughout the party, and a monogram tag was attached with Fleur de lis wax seal.
  • Another vintage suit case was used to help display the favors.

For more inspiration, follow me on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook. Cheers!

Comments

1. The Tablescaper says:

This is such an amazing creative theme and you did an outstanding job! Love that little chest you used as a bar; loved usuing drawers for serving; love your photos "pinned" on the line; great menu! Just FABULOUS!

I'm hosting a new meme called "Summer Sundays" and it's all about what summer means to YOU! It could be a beautiful summery tablescape! Hope you'll come and join us.

- The Tablescaper

Has it been a year since that fabulous 40th? This is awesome! I love everythinf from the drawers holding the wine glasses, and macarons, to the luggage to the urns! Job well done.
    BTW your hydrangea's are still gorgeous!

3. chicsweets says:

Totally amazing Chris!!! Very inspiring for a Monday morning-what a way to start the week. Just beautiful!

4. por Beatriz Azevedo says:

It's all in the detail. As I like to say. Very comprehensive your decoration and I loved the favors bags. Have a nice week. Beatriz

5. Julie Renee says:

Chris, this is amazing! The details are perfection. Tell me again why you aren't designing gorgeous weddings for me to shoot??? ; )

6. oh my goodness, this is GORGEOUS!! I love love love how you served things in drawers! and the frames look amazing. I'm sure your guests were thrilled.

Thanks so much for your sweet comments, everyone!!

"The Tablescaper," thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Natasha, you crack me up! It's as if you were here! ;D

Julie,…"small" weddings, and we can talk! ;D

8. Susan Crabtree says:

absolutely beautiful! you did an incredible job!

9. Kira Franz-Knight says:

sigh…talk about takin' us all to Paris! No words, just …sigh…sooooo gorgeous. Beret's off to you lady!

10. The Tablescaper says:

Thanks so much for coming and joining in the fun, "Summer Sundays". Hope to see you next Sunday too!

- The Tablescaper

11. Save the Date for Cupcakes says:

Oh~ I just love these kind of party details! Everything is PERFECT! What an awesome party!!!

12. julie desmeules says:

This is stunning!

13. Collections from my Heart says:

i love this! i love the photo garland, i love the frames, the luggage! amazing job!

14. Susan @ Entertain Exchange says:

Wow, you did a beautiful job. It all looks so lovely! Those hydrangea's are gorgeous – the perfect back drop.

I am sure all your guest loved it!

15. Brittany @ GreyGreyDesigns says:

My favorite part, hands down, is the use of the drawers! SO creative. Love it. And PS, your hydrangeas are out of this world! The perfect backdrop!

16. jackie fo says:

this is absolutely gorgeous! one of my favorite parties of yours if not THE favorite! everything looks perfect !!!!

17. I love, love the creative use of the drawers and the vintage suitcases. Happy that you liked the macarons. I'll link to this post when I put up my next macaron-related posting which should be soon!

18. Shelley@DivinePartyConcepts says:

I absolutely LOVE everything! It looks great as always!

19. Eloïse says:

Hi, i love your blog, i've never comment untill now, i'm french used to live in Paris, and now live in south of France. You got the french touch bravo!
    Eloïse

20. Enchanted Expectations says:

Fantanstic! I love every detail

21. Elizabeth Howard says:

What a beautiful party with so many unique idea! Well done Chris!

22. justfineinflipflops says:

Awesome as always!!!

23. Kim - The TomKat Studio says:

So beautiful, Chris!

24. Jennifer Birkhead says:

Absolutely GORGEOUS Chris!!! Well done, it looked AMAZING!

25. Chris!! Mais c'est magnifique!! :)

I LOVE the theme, the petit fours, the vintage French suitcases, the pvc pipping is just genius and I shall steal hehe…love the postcards, favor bags and their contents… enfin, J'aime tout, tout!! :)

Bisous,
    Bird

Thanks again, everybody!

Eloise, and Bird, you have made my day! :)

27. Awwww….

Chris, you attention to detail is just sublime!! :)

Thanks for linking up!!

A bientot et gros bisous!! :)

28. ANA J. http://yesitsmyparty.blogspot.com/ says:

Really really nice!!! Too much work! Congratulation

29. Eloïse says:

:-)

30. Not Just A Mommy! says:

Awetastic!!!! I wish I had your kind of 'stuff' just laying around, it's all perfect! I wish my hubby would let me through him a party like this, he doesn't want the fuss. It's like, 'Hello? Do you realized who you married?

31. Kinser Event Company says:

OH MY GOODNESS Chris this is AMAZING!! I would love to feature it on Kinser Event Company! Great Job!

32. Koozies says:

This is a good posting, I was wondering if I could use this blog post on my website, I will link it back to your website though. If this is a problem please let me know and I will take it down right away.

33. oh my goodness gracious! that is wonderful! you are a genius! i so want to copy ever detail! thanks so much for sharing!

34. The drawer displays are genius!!! I wish you were my wife :)

35. Kinser Event Company says:

STUNNING – I finally had a moment to drool over all the details – this is incredible Chris – I love it!!

36. Oh Chriiiiiis,

Guess whose awesome party I've featured today??!! :)

Love,
    Bird
    P.s. – Hope you've had a nice wknd!! :)

37. Jacqueline says:

I connected with you through the Tablescaper. Absolutely exquisite. I will have to have a French party. What beautiful details and lovely food. Thanks for sharing.

38. Stephanie Lynn says:

Chris this is simply beautiful! I love each and every detail. The frames are incredible and I just adore the favor bags. Fantastic job – gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you are having a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

39. Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming says:

Hi Chris- I'll be featuring your party tomorrow! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks again for joining The Sunday Showcase! ~ Stephanie Lynn

40. Beth@The Stories of A to Z says:

This is brilliant. I love the use of drawers and the hydrangeas provide the perfect backdrop!

41. Hi Chris! every detail is absolutely perfect and the food looks delish!! thanks for all of the ideas : )

42. Absolutely wonderful! Every detail is perfect – great job Chris!
    Morgan@PDB

43. Oh my…did you hear me ooohing and aaahing over your pics. Wonderful job!

44. You got my attention. Themed table settings/parties are one of my favorite endeavors. Couple that with Paris and I'm taking notes. I read more of your blog and marked you as one of my favorites.

45. Diane@InMyOwnStyle says:

Hi Chris-
    How pretty and what a special party atmosphere. I wish I could sit myself right down into your photo. I love how you have not overlooked any detail.
    My best- Diane

46. Molly @ The Creative Maven says:

GORGEOUS party! Amazing attention to detail!

47. Infarrantly Creative says:

Holy cow that is simply gorgeous. What a sweet party. Thanks for sharing the details with us

48. This is just wonderful and filled with fabulous ideas! I had to bookmark this to come back for inspiration!

49. Christie says:

I am your newest follower! I entered the CSI challenge last week (A Girl's Shed) and found yours from the 'Top 10.' I LOVE it…so glad I found it! I think you have the best job in the world! Check out my daughter's birthday party at http://threepixielane.blogspot.com/2010/06/busy-as-bee.html.

I love to throw a party! I will enjoy going through yours! My brother-in-law lives in Richmond, Va…David Thomas! Have a great week!

50. vicki archer says:

Fabulous ideas…thank you….I love the way you served the macarons….very inspirational…xv

51. Erin*Sparkle&Hay says:

this is amazing! i love every single detail!

52. Erin*Sparkle&Hay says:

this is amazing! i love every single detail!

53. Erin*Sparkle&Hay says:

this is amazing! i love every single detail!

54. Olá !!

Nossa amei todo o seu blog, ideias muito boas!!!
    Vou usar elas aq no Brasil
    Beijos

55. this party looks great! i love all of the touches. puting the french fries in a fancy setting was cleaver!

56. Hey I really love this idea, it’s fantastic. I’m currently trying to plan an out door party for my mothers 60th in Oct. I’ve been looking for some really easy, affordable and exciting ideas. Any Ideas?

57. Tricia Elefante says:

Great ideas

1. […] Bouchees recently did.  You may remember Petites Bouchees is where I got the macarons for my French Themed party here. Veronica’s inspiration was the beautiful wallpaper used on the backdrop, and was […]