Enjoy these simple celebration at home ideas for a small birthday party with family. You’ll find fun ways to celebrate the day, tips for an easy menu, a festive table setting, and delicious dessert ideas.
Simple Celebration At Home
Once we become adults we tend to celebrate birthdays by the decade, not by the year. After we hit 21, it’s all about the “zeros,” right!
Here’s a way to get together with family or a small group of friends and have a simple celebration at home to commemorate all those years in between.
These ideas can also be used for a small party that recognizes special events in life like job promotions, a new home, personal achievements, etc.
The party ideas here are perfect for a ladies luncheon, a family supper, or almost anything in between!
Set the table for a party
Create a table that’s easy to set but still festive and celebratory.
- Use the guest of honor’s favorite colors to decorate with.
- A tablecloth or fabric can instantly create a look. Since it covers a large area it can become the main color of the décor even if it’s the only place the color is used. This is a great trick to fool the eye into seeing more color.
- A combination of black and white dishes and napkins gives any base color a bold graphic look. Layer place settings with black and white dishes for a dramatic impact.
- Add a confetti-filled push pop to each place setting. Wrap it with color coordinating scrapbook paper to match the table.
- Make a party style table runner with paper confetti. Sprinkle it down the center just as you would lay a fabric runner.
- Make easy centerpieces with a mix of flowers and mini vases. Weave them back and forth down the center of the table for a simple accent. This allows the food to take center stage while still adding life to the table.
Easy birthday menu at home
Speaking of food on the table, serve an easy menu family-style. Here are some delicious recipes to try.
- This Thai noodles with shrimp recipe is perfect for a light birthday luncheon or dinner.
- Add a green salad like this heirloom tomato salad from our sunset supper.
- A simple party cheese board rounds out this easy menu, and you’re all set.
- Of course you can really get the party started by serving champagne using tips from our bubbly bar ideas.
- Or mix up a signature cocktail like this gin & ginger zing.
Birthday Cake for Dessert
The tradition in our family is that the birthday girl or boy gets to choose the birthday meal and the birthday cake of their choice. Here are some favorite cake ideas.
- Ice cream cake from the grocery store or local shop
- Pineapple white layer cake
- 4-layer orange cake
- Chocolate fudge caramel mini cakes
- A classic birthday cake
More ideas for home birthday celebrations
- Have a birthday brunch complete with cake for breakfast
- Create a spa day and pamper your self
- Ask family to hop on a Zoom party
- Dress up like you’re going out on the town
- Have a living room dance party
- Have a game day or movie day
- Make it a “favorite things” day
- Set out yard signs or pink flamingoes (number corresponds to age)
- Add balloons or flowers to the decoration
And there you have it – a simple celebration at home with family.
And speaking of birthdays, I just had mine in June and it really inspired this celebration party idea. While we had a small group of friends over for a Sunday champagne brunch, I realized that casual and intimate setting was one of my favorite birthdays. No pomp and circumstance of the “zeros” could outdo it!