Want to know how to make a watermelon cake? See the steps here and then follow the recipe for a great summer dessert.
There’s nothing quite like Summer entertaining as it takes you outside on the patio, or by the pool, or on the beach. Yummy food and drinks are a major component too, with pot lucks and theme parties being so prevalent. This “watermelon cake” that I made for my latest contribution to Tablespoon is the perfect dessert to bring to your next summer pot-luck party. Get the recipe here or simply make a white cake and tint it a deep pink color before baking.
The real treat is that it looks like a big cross section of watermelon with the green rind and chocolate chip seeds. Here are my tips for getting the look:
Make a Watermelon Cake
- Baking 2 layers will yield 2 watermelon cakes.
- Divide white icing into 2 separate bowls. Add green food coloring to one until desired color is achieved. Add red food coloring to the other until desired color is achieved.
- Start with the red frosting and cover the top of each cake layer, leaving about 1/4 inch border.
- Using the green frosting, cover the sides and border area.
- Top with mini chocolate chips for “seeds.”
I hope you’ll give this cake a try. Your guests and the kids will love how it looks!