Make-ahead easy chicken appetizers in mini phyllo shells are a tried-and-true recipe made with shredded chicken, sautéed veggies, and sweet & sour sauce. Serve them for a cocktail party or appetizers for girls night in.
Easy Chicken Appetizers in Phyllo Cups
If you’re planning your next gathering for a few close friends, these easy chicken appetizers are a delicious finger food. They’re baked and can be served warm or at room temperature making them great appetizers for a cocktail party.
Cocktail party appetizers aren’t just for fancy gatherings. They’re an opportunity to provide your guests with an assortment of mini dishes and small bites.
Make-ahead finger food
Prepare the filling ahead of time by combining the ingredients in one bowl and keeping it in the fridge. Then just scoop it into mini phyllo shells, along with lightly toasted almonds when you’re ready to bake and serve.
If you have leftover filling, scoop some into a lettuce leaf and have yourself a deliciously simple lunch!
How to make Sweet & Sour Chicken Cups
- Sauté red bell pepper and onion in the oil, over medium heat until tender.
- Combine the veggie mixture with chicken, sweet & sour sauce, almonds, and soy sauce in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once ready to bake, fill phyllo cups with mixture and bake until filling is hot.
PARTY TIP: This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger crowd.
What kind of chicken to use
This recipe already has a ton of flavor from the sweet and sour sauce, the soy sauce, and the sautéed vegetables. You don’t want to overpower all of that with overly seasoned chicken.
- You can use premium canned chicken to make this recipe super simple. Make sure you buy the white breast meat for best flavor, and drain the water from the can before using the meat.
- You can boil your own chicken breasts using this process to make shredded chicken
- You can use a prepared rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Just make sure it’s the classic flavor without additional seasonings that will add too much flavor to the appetizers.
How to toast almonds
Toasting almonds brings out the flavor, aroma, and crunch, making them irresistible.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread nuts in a single layer, onto a baking sheet. Bake about 5-6 minutes, watching to make sure they don’t over cook.
What drinks can I serve?
When looking for a wine pairing, try sparkling wine or a Riesling. Something with an acidic but fruity note would work nicely to balance the sweetness of the sauce.
Check out these best tips for serving wine at a party.
More Chicken Appetizer Recipes
- jerk seasoned chicken skewers
- bacon wrapped chicken bites
- baked artichoke dip with chicken
- honey chicken salad cups
- sesame chicken salad in puff pastry cups
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2/3 cup jarred Sweet & Sour sauce (from Asian cooking section)
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2 packages frozen filo cups
- Saute red bell pepper and onion in the oil, over medium heat until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine vegetable mixture with chicken, sweet & sour sauce, almonds, and soy sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Fill Filo cups with chicken mixture and bake for 8-10 minutes or until filling is hot.