This Streusel Topped Sweet Potato Casserole is a recurring dish at our holiday gathering table. It’s got the best of both worlds with streusel topping AND marshmallows! Get the recipe here.
If you’re from the South, you know about sweet potato casserole. It’s pretty much an old standard on our Thanksgiving table and at Christmas dinner, and whether it’s topped with streusel topping or marshmallows…it really is all about the topping!
Since we (the adults) love streusel topping and the kids love marshmallows, I love to top my sweet potatoes with both. You can do half and half or divide it into rows for a pretty presentation like I did here.
This is such a classic dish at the holidays, I do hope you’ll try this recipe. Make this one of your go-to Thanksgiving side dishes or Christmas menu items year after year! Serve it alongside other favorites like creamy mac-n-cheese or butternut squash soup.
Streusel Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 (29 oz) cans sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp grated orange rind
- 1 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 egg whitesStreusel Topping:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Mini marshmallowsMash up potatoes well. Mix together first 7 ingredients with hand mixer, until smooth. Beat egg whites in a small bowl at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold beaten whites into potato mixture. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9 baking dish.Stir together all streusel topping ingredients and sprinkle over sweet potatoes. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until topping is lightly browned. If using Marshmallows, add them at the last 5 minutes of cooking time.Makes up to 12 servings.