This is the first official weekend of Christmas parties, and many a hostess will be setting up a buffet table for her hungry guests. Whether you’re serving hors d’oeuvres or a meal, the table here is a great way to set the buffet in style. I love the pop of color used but any combination will do. Some easy ideas to take away are:
- Lay strips of wide ribbon crosswise on the table and hang an ornament at the end. You can hang balls, snowflakes, colored crystal ‘jewels’, a poinsettia. This dresses up the side of the table because that is what guests will see as they are walking up to the buffet.
- Wrap empty boxes as gifts and set them on the table. They can add height, symmetry, or even be used to set platters on.
- Use simple geometric patterns. Stripes, circles, and harlequin patterns add a touch of whimsy and feel less ‘busy’ to the eye than many of the Christmas patterned papers on the market.
- You know my love for ‘party art’! Wrap panels with coordinating papers or fabrics and hang them as a backdrop to the table. You can do this by wrapping an artist canvas, foam core, even a shirt box.
- Use all white serving dishes if you can. It is very pleasing to the eye and it doesn’t compete with the food presentation.
I hope you will use some of the ideas to make your buffet table more special!