A few months ago I was contacted by the folks at Miracle-Gro to provide some ideas about how you can “grow something greater” through entertaining and get-togethers. The project was to help launch their new site and to encourage people to take the ‘grow challenge.’ Today I’m going to tell you my “grow” story
and give you a chance to win your own grow kit worth over $70.
I’ve never had a “green thumb” but over the years I’ve tried my hand at house plants, landscaping, and herb gardening. I love the life that house plants bring to a room; I love having flowers in the back yard that can be cut and put into a vase, and I love being able to snip off some fresh cilantro or rosemary when I’m making a tasty dish.
As I said though, I’m no master gardener so I like to stick with plants that are easy to maintain and need little fuss. Here are my top 3 plants to grow, picked for their easy care and lush look.
- I recently purchased this schefflera plant for the family room. It’s a very popular house plant around here, and easy to maintain. I needed something fairly large to take up some space in the corner so I chose this one for about $12 at Walmart. I placed it in a pretty and colorful basket from TJMaxx and it adds just the right touch to this room.
- Probably the house plant I’m most familiar with is the philodendron. My best friend in college used to have these in her dorm room/apartment and would always snip off a piece, place it in a glass of water, and grow a new plant from it. Anything that easy to care for is right up my alley! I received this one as a house warming gift and it’s been doing well.
- My favorite flower is the hydrangea and I love planting them so that I can cut fresh blooms for the house. The flowers are so large that you only need a few for a big visual impact. At our old house I had a row of them that would bloom for a couple of months in late Spring-early Summer, and sometimes re-bloom in late Summer-early Fall. I do have plans to plant some here at our new house too. They do well in an area that gets morning sun-afternoon shade, and has plenty of moisture.
If you don’t have a green thumb either, but want to grow some something, maybe these easy plants will be up your alley too. You can also visit the Grow Something Greater site and see my tips on “growing through entertaining” as well as other perspectives, and even share your own story. You can also enter my growing kit GIVEAWAY below.
This Giveaway is now Closed
Miracle-Gro Growing Kit contains:
- $50 gift card to get you started
- Garden shears
- Gardening Journal
- Gardening Hand Therapy cream from Crabtree & Evelyn
- Gardener’s Exfoliating Hand Soap
**Winner will be CHOSEN AT RANDOM and notified by email on Friday, March 21, and will need to respond within 48 hours to claim their prize or another winner will be chosen.
**Winner must be 18 years of age or older and a US resident in order to win.
**Prize will be sent from sponsor.
**Use the Rafflecopter widget to enter. Don’t forget to use your email address so we can contact you if you win.