There’s nothing quite like Summer entertaining as it takes you outside on the patio, or by the pool, or on the beach. Yummy food and drinks are a major component too, with pot lucks and theme parties being so prevalent. This “watermelon cake” that I made for my latest contribution to Tablespoon is the perfect dessert to bring to your next summer pot-luck party. Get the recipe here or simply make a white cake and tint it a deep pink color before baking.
The real treat is that it looks like a big cross section of watermelon with the green rind and chocolate chip seeds. Here are my tips for getting the look:
Baking 2 layers will yield 2 watermelon cakes.
Divide white icing into 2 separate bowls. Add green food coloring to one until desired color is achieved. Add red food coloring to the other until desired color is achieved.
Start with the red frosting and cover the top of each cake layer, leaving about 1/4 inch border.
- Using the green frosting, cover the sides and border area.
- Top with mini chocolate chips for “seeds.”
I hope you’ll give this cake a try. Your guests and the kids will love how it looks!
This post is part of Holiday HQ Summer entertaining in cooperation with these other talented bloggers. Check out their summer posts and join us on Twitter tonight at 8pm EST for a chat about Summer Entertaining. We’ll have GIVEAWAYS from Hamilton Beachfor those who participate by using #HolidayHQ in their tweets.
Check out these “Summer Inspiration” posts for more great ideas:
- Second City Soiree – How to Turn Your Grill into a Smoker
- Thoughtfully Simple - 4 Summer Cocktails
- Paper & Pigtails – Favorite Summer Printables
- Valley & Co – Perfect Summer Cocktail Recipes
- Scimbaco Lifestyle – Scandinavian Summer Party Ideas
- Housewife Bliss – Summer Bunting for Playful Parties
- Party Blueprints Blog – Super Summer Pie